Tucking the FRONT Big Ugly Bumper project

JNewm

True Classic
I recently posted a super-easy way to tuck your rear Big Ugly Bumper ("BUB") closer to the car. I foolishly thought the front would be similarly easy, but it's a little more complicated. I'll post the process for anyone thinking of doing something along these lines.

At the outset, I should also explain my reasoning--why do it this way instead of compressing the bumper shocks? First, I wanted it to be easily reversible, just in case I didn't like the look or wanted to go full BUB again for some reason. Second, I *think* this allows you to get the front bumper a bit closer to the body than the compressed-shock method. (Judge for yourself, though.) Third, I wanted the bumper shock to remain functional. I don't know if the extra impact absorption would make that much difference in a serious collision, but I imagine every little bit helps. I'm loathe to disable any safety features on a car this inherently dangerous on today's SUV-infested roads.

That said, here's the process. There are multiple complicating factors when re-mounting the front bumper as compared to the (relatively easy) rear. The bumper is mounted the same way, an aluminum "C" shape that mounts to a bracket, which in turn mounts to the bumper-shock flange. But when you remove the bracket on the front and try to re-mount the bumper directly to the shock flange, you quickly realize that the flange is hitting something. The "something(s)" are the extra brackets that slide into the front of the bumper and hold the turn signals.

So you have to remove those brackets, which are surprisingly heavy! The bumper without them is quite light. But then you need to fabricate turn signal brackets. In theory, you could mount the turn signals in the hole where they were mounted on early cars, but I think they'd be too far recessed under the bumper for other cars to see them.

Here are my super janky wooden brackets:
1606681757303.png
1606681786004.png

Now, when you take the elephant ears off, there are of course holes to be filled. Might as well do the inevitable rust repair while you're at it.
1606681921416.png

The next complicating factor is the bumper itself. At the very least, you need to fabricate some new ends, since the old rubber/plastic ones are attached to the old turn-signal bracket, which you had to remove. I cut up some cheap mud flaps to make mine, glued them on with Liquid Nails, and molded bondo around everything. I also filled in the "channel" on the front of the bumper, removed the two rubber bumperettes that attach to the front of the aluminum bumper, and filled in all the holes left behind.

Lots of bondo, lots of sanding. Here you can see I've also already drilled the new mounting holes.

1606682139147.png

The NEXT problem is, "What do I do about a grill?" I had been using a makeshift one I made this summer out of heavy-gauge expanded metal, but it looked really awful with all the body cladding out of the way. My original plan had been to use an early-style grill I bought on here awhile ago, but early-style grills don't seem to fit! (At least not without cutting, and I didn't want to ruin a perfect-condition early-style grill.) The bumper shocks are in the way. So I just took the easy route and fabricated a grill from some lighter-gauge steel mesh.

With all that done, just re-assemble everything et voila!

From this:
1606682430847.png

To this:
1606682467708.png

3/4 view:
1606682517602.png

Still a Big Bumper, but a little prettier.

Last edited:
Back