Turn Signal / Hazard Relay Mod

lookforjoe

True Classic
Someone mentioned the fact that Fiat/Bertone used the old style thermal load flasher relay - which I had totally spaced on when I was frustrated with the radio momentary cut-out when turning on the hazards...

...So, I decided to rewire for the style relay others have used since the 70's :rolleyes:

Used this schematic as a guide...

240turnsignalHazardWiring.jpg

these older diagrams are nice, 'cos they also show current path in the various modes..

currentFlow.jpg

... comparing to the Bertone wiring, the instrument cluster bulb(s) are fed from the turn stalk/hazard switch. This is the main change needed, other than adding the ground for the relay.

X19turnsignalHazardWiring.jpg

I pulled the Violet/White wire out of the loom back up behind the radio/AC controls & feed it down into the center console. The bulge in the wire is one of the diodes

X19hazTurnSigRelay0005.jpg

Added a "Y" section to it, with diodes on each leg to prevent each one feeding back into the other side, this way they only power the inst cluster light.

Took care of my blown AC control bulbs at the same time :)

X19hazTurnSigRelay0001.jpg

removed the spade connectors from the stock relay plug & repositioned to match the newer relay, ran a black wire to ground up under the right side dash retaining bolt.

X19hazTurnSigRelay0002.jpg

pin configuration for newer relay 49 (+), 49a (pulsed output) 31 (-)
X19hazTurnSigRelay0003.jpg

X19hazTurnSigRelay0004.jpg

All good, no more heavy draw when directionals or hazards are first turned on

Nice work!

I wouldn't try to say I follow it right now, but it sounds like a good modification! :worship:

Why?

When all you need to do is plug in one of these? Easy to get, NO modifications.

flasherdz7.jpg

Congrat's on a successful implementation, but this might have saved you a lot of trouble.

Yeah, Jeff N mentioned that...

.. in his Alternator Options thread.

It didn't take too long, and didn't cost me anything but a little time. I wouldn't do it over, now knowing the plugin updated version is under $10!

Wich brand

Bob,
do you have a specific brand and part number?
Some brand are not reliable.

If you have a prefered/recommandation brand we will apreciate.

Thanks

Back