Ulix: Are you having a good timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix: Are you having a good timing?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 8 2000 at 11:05 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Gilles [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Ulix:

Reading through Mirafiori's forum got me wondering if I EVER had set the time properly.

1) I find TDC. (At the pulley)
2) I set the rotor towards # 4 Cyl.
3) I connect the timing light on # 1 Cyl. Ign cable
4) I set the 10 Deg. On the pulley mark.

Somebody questioned if is ok to set TDC at # 4 Cyl. then time it with # 1 Cyl.?
(I always done it like that)

Am I doing it right? (After 15 + years) I guess it's better late than never.

Also, I always set TDC at the pulley (not at the flywheel) because I cannot see the flywheel mark without removing the water reservoir (I guess the FI cars have less room than the carbed ones) Or maybe I am not bending and twisting enough!

Thank you in advance for your comments, Gilles

P.S. It is true that the marks at the pulley can be adjusted (therefore if they are not properly centered the final result will also be innacurate?)

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm having the timing of my life!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 8 2000, 12:52 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Gilles,

you are doing it right.

* Somebody questioned if is ok to set TDC at # 4 Cyl. then time it with # 1 Cyl.?

#1 and #4 pistons are at TDC at the same time. When one fires, the other one is pushing exhaust out the exhaust valve.
So if you time either off 1 or 4, the crank will be at the TDC mark.
The only difference is that you could point your light at the cam mark and see the pointer (need to set ign timing to 0 deg).

* Also, I always set TDC at the pulley (not at the flywheel) because I cannot see the flywheel mark without removing the water reservoir (I
guess the FI cars have less room than the carbed ones) Or maybe I am not bending and twisting enough!

It's close on my car.
Using the timing cover is fine though.

* Thank you _in advance_ for your comments, Gilles

I hope my comments don't sound retarded...

* P.S. It is true that the marks at the pulley can be adjusted

Which marks? None of mine are adjustable.
Do you mean an adjustable pointer?

Ulix (don't suffer from preignition)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back