Rooster

piccole ma cattive
dsc000059438295.jpg

dsc000039469428.jpg

dsc000049472772.jpg

dsc000069442517.jpg

dsc000099453585.jpg

dsc000119462089.jpg

Looks like I'll be doing a little more racing next year...

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's staying as a racer even though the body is in really great shape. I've been kicking around the idea of joining COM (SCCA doesn't have enough races at Loudon) plus I want to still AutoX it. Maybe hill climbs as well. It needs some work as it sat for 16+ years, but it starts, drives and feels solid.

The Bumble Bee will be relegated to street use. The Koni race struts will be replaced with modified KYB's and I'll work on the creature comforts as well as the MegaSquirt install and tuning. The race suspension on the Bee will of course go into the race car...

Actually quite alot of work and still more to go. Once its insulated, heated and paneled inside, I'll either raise the roof or modify the roof joists so I can get a lift in there.

As you've seen my house, garage and property, I don't have alot of space to work with!

Congratulations...

Looks like ALL your social time will be taken now... HA!

What's in the bay of the new car???

Looks like ALL your social time will be taken now... HA!

What's in the bay of the new car???

tires, tires and more tires!

Or did you mean engine bay? Pretty much a stock 1500 carbed motor. Hence the budget build thread previously!

Yes... that would be the ENGINE bay...

I don't recall seeing any photos of the engine. Are you planning on running a stock 1500 class?

Talk about burnin' the candle at both ends...

... you just BETTER give those CARS the attention they deserve!

HA!

(ya know... guys like you really piss me off... make me even feel OLDER than dirt! gees-loueez! dammit!)

Just an update. I was supposed to take the car to the track on the 23rd, but due to the new convertable and targa "safety" rules, my roll bar is not up to snuff. Their are several styles of roll cages, I'm asking the racers here on the forum to give me your input. I'd like to keep the windshield, but will cut it if need be.

Advice?

rollcage.jpg

Last edited:
It might be easier...

to lower the seating position than to mess with the roll bar. In fact it might even be easier to lower the floor the seat is mounted on, than to try to extend the rollcage. It looks like the rollcage was designed to fit under the targa top, and so if you raise it, you lose that ability.

Is the seat currently sitting on the floor, or is it on some kind of rails? How close is your helmet to the "plane"? How tall are you?

Are those SCCA rules, or NASA, or some other sanctioning body? Has the car actually been rejected by the tech inspectors?

Pete

We are in the process of updating the roll cage on the LeMons X , they now require a "halo" for all open top cars..

While much of LeMons is perceived as silliness and less than serious racing, it's not. The tech folks at LeMons are dead serious. If the car does not meet the safety requirements, ya don't run bribe or not. Video from LeMons:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApaSPCJFPk4&feature=related"]YouTube - 24 Hours of Lemons Buttonwillow 2009 Leader of the race rolls his car on the last lap.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcfqH4W2DpY"]YouTube - RX7 Flip[/ame]

If basic track time is the goal, track day or "Hooked on Driving" venues might be one way to go.. It all really depends on what ya wanna do.

Just an update. I was supposed to take the car to the track on the 23rd, but due to the new convertable and targa "safety" rules, my roll bar is not up to snuff. Their are several styles of roll cages, I'm asking the racers here on the forum to give me your input. I'd like to keep the windshield, but will cut it if need be.

Advice?

Coupla things...

1. The Rulebook Drawing looks surprizingly like a Mazda Miata... so I'm sure it doesn't apply to a TRUE sports car like the X1/9, and...

2. As Pete indicated, there are other ways to get around the "two-inch" rule. In your case, it would probably be cheaper, easier, and have less impact both aesthetically and performance-wise if you surgically removed the top two inches of your forehead and skull...

(hehehehehe...)

HEY... Another tactic might be... (being the father of an ATTORNEY and a CALIFORNIAN...) do I see a DISCRIMMINATION LAWSUIT here???

On a serious note... I would go beyond rules and have a PROPER dual-bar cage built... then re-skin the targa bar over it. Cut down your dating to 2-per-week and you'll have it paid for in a month!

My ultimate goal is to do COm races, so the solution that I come up with has to fit their guidelines. I'm pretty sure COM follows SCCA's rulings on convertables and targa's. Matt's Halo style on his racer is probably what I'm going after.

Roll Bar option.

On our car, and since I am 6'4" tall, I opted to put the main hoop of the rollbar behind the firewall where there is quite a bit more room.

It gives me full room in the cockpit of the car and still allows the correct height vs the helmet.

Eric

Back