Used Koni Adjustable shocks with springs Fiat x 1/9Used

jjay911

True Classic
I have these scheduled to list on Thursday on a 10 day no reserve auction. I will take 900 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 from an xweb member. Or feel free to bid on them on ebay. But once the auction starts if there are bids I wont be able to stop it.

JJ 949-910-1206 PM Box is often full. I work pretty full time so phone or email is best. jjay911*yahoo.com

Here is my description and pics

These are the definition of rare. Its very hard to find these. These are adjustable for dampening and also height. Some of the obvious advantages for your car are the fact that you can run wider wheels and tires without rubbing. You can lower the stance of the front of the car, and you can save about 5lbs of weight per corner in un sprung weight. This is the difference between these and stock set up. The mounting points were professionally lowered 20 years ago so that your car can be lowered with out compromising the shock travel.These cost in access of 3000 dollars new in 80s money. The springs are rated at 450 and are for racing. If you want to save a little in shipping we can remove the springs and keep them or ship them separate if you want. For street use you may want to go with a lower spring rate. Stance makes nice springs in the 280 to 330 range for about 40 bucks a spring. Feel free to ask questions if you want. Thanks again and please check out our other hard to find items on ebay we are trying our best to get things sold to free up some more space.we can send these international however some countries are more difficult depending because of the weight and size. Australia and the Philippines have to be broken into two boxes. We do not accept paypal for the Philippines because of there not being an insurance option for that country. If you need a specific quote for international please send us your postal code and country and we will be happy to get this for you. There is a shipping surcharge for anything outside of the lower 48.

Konis...

Are the shocks in good shape? How much street time are on them?
Has this set-up actually been on a car?

I dunno what ya got here Jeff...

My confusion comes from the obviously worn-a-bit yellow paint and the absolutely flawless looking adjusters and coils. The mounts do indeed appear to be re-welded onto the tubes, or some other tubes that were found and Fiat mounts applied. Usually you will find the adjusting nuts to be a bit bitched up from spanner wrenches moving them several times, along with some grease, dust and dirt in the threads. They may have cleaned up well though...

What further puzzles me are the rather fresh looking Koni stickers, one slightly peeling, and two affixed to the INSIDE of two of the struts, and two affixed to the OUTSIDE of the others.

These things do not necessarily appear "right"... hopefully they are everything you say they are.

Brett, these were on a street car that was occasionally raced. I have had them for several years. One of the rears was a leaker if memory serves

Tony, all you need to do is read the description. There is no need for you to be confused or concerned. They are almost 30 years old and at some points they were reprinted a few times...

OH! Are these some of the completed ones...

you show here?

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/199147/

Or are these ones that were the "pattern" you used to build these others?

If they are your modified struts, then your description is misleading. It may have Koni inserts, but should not lead the buyer to believe they were totally manufactured by Koni.

Last edited by a moderator:
you show here?

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/199147/

Or are these ones that were the "pattern" you used to build these others?

If they are your modified struts, then your description is misleading. It may have Koni inserts, but should not lead the buyer to believe they were totally manufactured by Koni.

Jees Tony are you completely against the idea of reading? These are real Koni shocks nothing I made in my garage. Nothing misleading. This is what we had a phone call about remember? These are almost 30 years old:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Tim, no not inserts. They are real Koni shocks. The rebuild able type. The shock body as well as the internals are all Koni. Single adjustable for dampening... :)

You mean rechargeable and thanks for for clarifying but I should have figured that out from the dampener adjustment hole I guess.

Have ever had them recharged/gassed? No signs of leaks?

One of the rears was a leaker but I have not had them on a car for a few years. I always stored them in the up right direction. If someone has the skill set to rebuild them they are rebuild-able. I have a set of seals I purchased but no time to mess with them. Its a messy job. Proparts will rebuild these for about 185 each corner. Just no time to deal with this stuff...

JJ, I did read, and I did see...

and what I read and what I saw did not immediately connect or seem to coincide.

You have posted numerous things on this site that you did not know what they were or where they came from and I thought you may have been mistaken here as well.

I admit I am old, I admit my memory does not serve me well at times. But when things do not APPEAR to be correct or make sense, they usually don't! My butt has proven to me over the past 65 years to be about 80% accurate. I'll take those odds to Vegas any day.

Sorry if I pushed some buttons...

No worries Tony

These are just old Koni shocks that were painted a few years ago and I don't need anymore

However it is appreciative to not crap on peoples for sale threads. This is major rule in most automotive forums.

Unlike some people you know I am quite forgiving and tolerant. There is something to be gleaned from that don't ya think?

Hope that you and your family are having a better year.

Jeff

Confused?

and what I read and what I saw did not immediately connect or seem to coincide... I admit I am old, I admit my memory does not serve me well at times. But when things do not APPEAR to be correct or make sense, they usually don't!

Your observations on these struts were actually accurate, as they are not "just X1/9 Konis" as the seller implied. These are old original Koni struts for the X1/9 (as verified by the single Koni part number shown on the front strut but not stated in the ad), with the lower strut mounts raised as the seller did state (but only the front struts have been done - the rears are untouched). The struts have also been modified by shaving (or replacing?) the original coil spring perches to a smaller diameter & being flattened, with thin horizontal reinforcement rods added 90º apart.

What also hasn't been stated is that these struts were originally Koni reds (verified by the Koni part #), not Koni yellows as the current decor would allude to, & the decals are placed incorrectly as you noted (also the wrong decal style). IIRC, the original adjustment method for these struts was done by fully compressing the strut (with spring removed) & rotating the rod left/right until the desired setting was achieved - just as noted by the adjustment instructions/arrows on the body of most older Koni shocks/struts. Apparently, the front struts have had a manual adjuster installed, but whether it was a factory-made addition or a custom feature done by a previous owner, I don't know (I'm accustomed to seeing the slightly older 86-series Konis without this feature). Note that there are no noticeable adjusters like this on the rear strut tubes. The shiny alloy coil spring adjuster-perches, narrow blue coil springs & upper mount hardware are obviously not Koni or X1/9 parts, & the seller described their specs/function fairly accurately - these are obviously "coil-over" parts, so I don't know why you're confused on that bit.

One interesting observation is that the Maxspeed® K482 03/03 blue coil springs & the alloy top hardware on these look amazingly similar to a previous offering by this seller, but whether it's by design or by sheer coincidence, I don't know. :brow:

Thanks Jeff

Yea I forgot that these were reds. Thanks

And your observations look spot on...

Yea I purchased a bunch of those max speed springs years ago. So they migrated a few places...

How about a gracious apology to Tony? :brow:

Thanks Jeff

Yea I forgot that these were reds. Thanks

And your observations look spot on...

Yea I purchased a bunch of those max speed springs years ago. So they migrated a few places...

Can I make a suggestion JJ?

How about doing your homework before posting anything for sale here? I honesty knew nothing about these struts and I would have been really pissed off had I bought them only to find you misrepresented them (whether intentional or not).

Thank you Jeff for posting what the seller failed to. I really was considering them but have since changed my mind.

-Tim

Tim,..

Sorry I just didnt know much about them. And as far as Tonys observation the only thing I did was add the new aluminum adjustment perches because the old ones were a mis match of color. These were on a friend of mines Race car for several years and I ended up with them a few years ago. Yes they are Koni Reds and I updated the listing. They have a lot of potential to the right person. here is a pic from when I first got them

Back