Vacuum advance on late models

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Hello all,

When my 87 arrived, the hose was off the vacuum advance. I put it back on, but it feels to me like the low end on this car is a little soggy (but I don't know for sure, I haven't driven a stock X in a decade and a half, so maybe I just remember them as peppier than they are).

Anyhow, I wanted to test it to make sure it was working, so I popped the cap and hooked up a vacuum pump. Rotor didn't move, so I figured it might be bad. So I go find a spare, and give it the same test, with the same result. So I go try the one on my race car, and guess what, same result. So is this not a valid test, or do I really have 3 bad vacuum advance cans?

Thanks,
Pete

test

The rotor won't move, but hopefully the slotted reluctor thingy on the advance plate does? The rotor is directly geared off the oil pump/aux shaft?

Ah, I didn't think of that...

The rotor won't move, but hopefully the slotted reluctor thingy on the advance plate does? The rotor is directly geared off the oil pump/aux shaft?

I'll have to peek under the little plate below the rotor and see if anything is moving around.

Excellent thought, thanks!

Pete

Back