valve shim tool

my 1st car

Low Mileage
Wanted---> valve shim tool for 1.5L, sohc- X19, or if someone in the Portland Or. area willing to let me borrow one, would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
I believe I have one you can borrow. Need to dig it out of storage, but that's easy. It's one I got with one of my cars, so can't vouch for what is/isn't included. Let me know...

Brett... Regarding this gentleman...

in Portland... I see he's been a member since 2011 but I don't recognize him.

We have a member here in SoCal that orchestrates the Mirafiori Shim Exchange and I gave him one of my X1/9 shim tools to loan out. We are kinda hesitant as they are not easily replaced and even a $50 dollar deposit would be a bargain for the user.

I say all this to say if you know this gentleman or can vouch for him, this could be an alternative if you can't find yours.

Hey Tom... Doesn't the "regular" FIAT shim tool...

work on either 1300 or 1500 SOHC engines?

I know the 1800 and 2000 - 124 and Spider engines take a different tool, but I thought the one tool worked on both engines here as well.

It is interesting to note that I had to NOTCH my ORIGINAL tool in order to get it to fully compress the springs to remove the shims. Maybe this is an indication that I have a 1300 tool.

Look closely at the first 45 degree bend from the handle where I ground a notch for a bit more travel... where it hit the top of the cam tower.

Brian Primm had a bunch made up and compensated for that issue by re-arching the ramp and also modifying it a bit as seen below. They sold like hot-cakes.

IMG_6093.jpg

Here is/was his finished product:

IMG_6151_zpsafe092d5.jpg

IMG_6156_zpsf11755cb.jpg

Expand the picture to see it more clearly Note how nicely he modified the ramp so it now "flattens" to hold the spring down more securely. This makes it easier to work at getting the shims out. (Magnets and picks work extremely well!)

Great modification, great work!

Spider or X

I was actually asking whether it is for a Spider or an X motor. Yes the 1300 and 1500 are the same! But the ones for the Spiders are different.

I guess I should mostly assume (evil word!) that inquiries without specific models are mostly directed toward X's unless otherwise stated?

Looking now to see if I have one that I am willing to part with. :confused:

tool crib

papa....
I can have been harping..ok, whining for the forum to start a collective tool thread.
maybe someone out there would sacrifice 50 bucks to keep the tool, I don't believe a forum member would do that. I send parts before getting money and checks way before the parts arrive. a trustworthy group indeed.
I did have one bad experience with a fiat club member in the Santa Cruz area, but I am totally sure that karma has caught up with him once or twice
if the member needs a tool, they pay shipping both ways and a deposit to the forum through paypal or something. when the tool is returned, they get reimbursed the same way.
I have pretty much(two drawers) of any tool fiat had.
and I trust the klan to be responsible. anyway who would want to be banned from the forum and any vendor who is on the forum??
I know the admn. wouldn't want to be hall monitor's on this, what with keeping track of this, so I nominate..........
PAPA TONY:excited:
mikemo90*aol.com

HA

tool crib

I have a second vote so papa, your in charge!!

so total HA!!!!
mikemo
p.s. rachael said that you told her my last name was moisa, so now I have to go to the courthouse and have my name changed to match your rolodex.
actually easier to type that way:nana:

A template?

So, I got to meet James for the first time today. Seems like a great guy, but doesn't get a lot of time to work on his car (a brown '79), nor time to come play on club type events, at least so far. I'll work on getting him out, these cars are meant to be enjoyed, and it's more fun with shared passions with others. Besides, you can't share knowledge when you don't meet and being able to leverage the knowledge (and tools) of others is a beautiful thing.

Anyways, for what it's worth, since I hadn't met him before I made an agreement and had him sign. I'll put it here in case anyone else wants to use it as a template for loaning tools...

Tool Loan Agreement​

I, ____________________________ (borrower), residing at <ADDRESS>(home phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx, cell phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx) acknowledge that I am borrowing a <tool description, for example: FIAT SOHC valve spring adjustment tool and shim kit. This tool consists of blue case containing Qty 3 “Starker 4119” hook-type tools, and approximately 62 shims of varying thicknesses.> I promise to return this tool kit in a reasonable timeframe and in good working order and condition the same as borrowed to __________________ (lender), residing at <address> (home phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx cell phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx)

valve shim tool--Loaned

Thanks Brett again, nice to have met you and your beautiful X1/9. More than generous. I was just expecting the tool, but was delivered way more with the shims. Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum--has helped greatly.

You... you... you...

I was HONORED once and asked by several if I would become one of the Moderators... and I wasn't sure if they LOVED me or HATED me!

HA!

Its a thankless job and I do my best to show my appreciation in words and deeds to these folks whenever the opportunity arises!

Indeed, we are BLESSED by so many honest and upstanding folks on this board and problems I've had personally with some over 15 years or more can be counted on one hand... with a finger or two left over.

I saved a finger for you too, Mike! HA!

finger

papa tony you slay me!!
let me guess what one:nana:
I posted on a thread out there so go find and stop bustin my ba##s

HA
mikemo

Back