Victoria British' TR7 catalog Applications for FIAT use

JoeyStarr

1982 FIAT X1/9
Hi all, since getting my X1/9 I have gotten a few catalogs and noticed somethings seemed missing that I thought may help us out. I briefly had a 80 TR7convertable, SCCA Edition,(sold) and remembered seeing lots of improved items for TR's. One I though may help our headlight motor wear less it the h/l's they have with replaceable bulbs. They claim the reduced weight vs. a solid glass h/l reduces motor wear. Also, in the most recent online catalog, I noticed a pre-wired headlamp relay conversion like the ones discribed here. Thought this info may help since cars are kinda simular. :woot:

Hmmmm... interesting...

Didn't the TRs have LUCAS componants... The Power of Darkness or something like that? HA! Sorry, I'm not all that familiar... but I am somewhat familiar with Marelli and Bosch.

The PRIMARY concern with our EARLY cars is not so much the weight or type of bulb used... but the issue with VOLTAGE DROP and AGE. even when NEW, the headlights barely received 11 volts through the constipated wiring harness.

Even if we were to convert to modern LOW CURRENT projector lamps or whatever, if the proper voltage is not there, then they will not function at all or again, with diminished capacity.

Bob Brown and other folks have come up with some user-friendly mods... mine happened to be wallet friendly... but all do the same thing in getting the proper POWER their first.

Thanks for your idea though... will you be attempting the mod on yours?

Parts

Yeah, I understand exactly how these cars work...I am glad you are familiar with them. Did you have something to add to the information or operation of the parts and ideas I posted? I do plan on using their parts, they are good quality and were helped restore the TR7 I had. Did you get a chance to review the online catalog? Get any ideas or inspirations?

I just happened to take apart one of my headligfht pods today. No worries about the motor wearing out opening and closing the headlight bucket....those motors feel heavy enough to work as a starter motor on a Cinquecento.:laugh:

Also, our own Bob Brown offered some headlight relay kits about six months ago, so he's probably due to make more soon.

European headlights are great!

Not sure what they're offering, no names are mentioned. Hella and Cibié are popular, quality housings. The bulbs are equally important, go with 55/60w or 80/100w if you have the relays installed. Forget the blue and other colors, they just throw less light for the same wattage, and the blue light is bad for night vision.

I'm curious about the relay harness, I've made similar kits for the Fiat Spiders and it's a lot of work. I might have to buy one to see what they offer; wire size, connectors, etc. $30 seems too cheap to be worth much. I spend more than that on parts for one of my kits. :shock2:

Back