Vintage racing Abarth

Marc L Frost

True Classic
Ironically, this popped up in the Grassroots Motorsports Classifieds section about the same time Carl posted the double bubble project. I don’t know much about these Abarths, but I love the styling. My late father used to volunteer as a race physician at the Sebring 12 Hours from 1958 to 1972, so these pop up here and there in our home movies.

Marc in Indy
Formerly Fastest Fiat 128 in the VSCDA,
Now Fastest 1st Gen Honda Civic in the VSCDA

I have only seen them as race cars, never as a street car. Back in my stupid youth I went to look at one, a retired race car, thinking it would make a great street car. I even checked with Virginia to see if a car with no windshield was street legal (it was, only stipulation was that if you did have a windshield it had to be safety glass). Can you imagine having one as a daily driver in Northern Virginia, no windows, no windshield, no top no nothing. Have a hard time explaining to the boss that I wouldn't be coming into work since it was raining. Fortunately I did not buy it but did get into motorcycles....which also did not have any of those items.

They are not pretty cars.

Probably because the car you looked at didn't have the proper Scorpione on the hood. Please note windscreen and side windows.
The Allemano and Abarth cars of that era were, in original form, not very good looking cars. They had a hard time accepting the idea that there was no front radiator and put large checkered badges where one "ought" to be. When that still looked a little odd they added "whiskers", often several rows. If that wasn't enough there were the alloy "bumperettes" screwed directly to the alloy body. These guaranteed more body damage than if never added. That's just the nose.....Cleaned up the Abarth's showed their Zagato or in house lines very well. Abarth never added a front radiator
to the double bubble but used a transverse one as an option. If Jeff will I'm sure he has multiple pics of these original trim badges/whiskers/stuff.

I liked mine. Bought it in 1984, sold it two years ago to someone who uses it every few weeks.

Back