Volvo Running Again!

lookforjoe

True Classic
Finally got my "XR" back on the road, newly build engine (Wiseco pistons, H-beam rods, bunch of stuff...)

IMG_0699.jpg

large Precision 6262 ball bearing turbo

IMG_0553.jpg

single mass flywheel
IMG_0604.jpg

Spec Stage III clutch

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

custom modified front bumper cutout for large FMIC

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Once it's run in (about 400 miles so far) I can start tuning for the larger turbo - currently keeping it under 10psi part throttle only, on the occasion I do go into boost.

R rated

Love this car. Almost grab one R version but the wife did want it and ended with Audi convertible...

Thanks guys.

Very nice, Ive always liked these r wagons.

Mine started as the lowly XC version....

VolvoV70AWD004.jpg

The 6speed AWD manual swap was the first mod, it was all downhill from there.

I also just added adjustable Koni's & 450lb springs in the back to deal with the excessive squat on acceleration - I'm more than double stock HP at this point

AWDsprings.jpg

AWDperch.jpg

New Spec clutch let loose on first hard pull after run in

Picture4-8.png

Picture2-19.png

happened again in a straight 4th pull (Spec claimed I must have a bad MC since it happened during shift)

ClutchSlip4th_5_18.png

clutchslipData4th_5_18.png

Now I have a clutch that won't fully disengage, a bent intake valve, and particles in the oil.

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

hope to have it out & torn down before the weekend. :sigh:

What a drag. Sorry to hear about this. Does this post qualify to be put in the DF forum. Many of us stay away from this section like the plague. It was luck that had me clicking in to see this.

What a drag. Sorry to hear about this. Does this post qualify to be put in the DF forum. Many of us stay away from this section like the plague. It was luck that had me clicking in to see this.

As a Moderator, I'm doing my best to keep things under control, and hopefully get more people back to this forum :angel:

Motor out

IMG_0717.jpg

Here's the clutch disengagement/engagement problem

IMG_0718.jpg

fingers never came back

IMG_0721.jpg

PP

IMG_0724.jpg

disc

IMG_0725.jpg

flywheel

IMG_0726.jpg

DM/SM comparison

IMG_0722.jpg

What are your thoughts ....

On why the fingers failed in that fashion, Hussein? I'm no engineer (as you obviously are) but the failed kit looks plenty beefy to cope. :hmm:
Do you accept the failed MC postulation by SPEC?

Sorry to hear! feel your pain.

New Spec clutch let loose on first hard pull after run in

Picture4-8.png

Picture2-19.png

happened again in a straight 4th pull (Spec claimed I must have a bad MC since it happened during shift)

ClutchSlip4th_5_18.png

clutchslipData4th_5_18.png

Now I have a clutch that won't fully disengage, a bent intake valve, and particles in the oil.

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

hope to have it out & torn down before the weekend. :sigh:

Forgot to say nice 850!

On why the fingers failed in that fashion, Hussein? I'm no engineer (as you obviously are) but the failed kit looks plenty beefy to cope. :hmm:
Do you accept the failed MC postulation by SPEC?

I'm no engineer!

The problem with the clutch was in fact due to the Kalmar Union Single mass flywheel ( designed as a direct fit replacement for the Dual Mass) the problem being that the pp to disc surface depth was incorrect - should have been 9mm, like stock, but is in fact only 7.75mm; that coupled with the approx 1.25mm thicker disc, created the situation where the fingers went too far over enter, which created both the slippage and the disengagement issues.

The separate issue of the valve was in fact another broken valve just below the keeper. This happened a year ago right after I replaced all the (bent) intake valves with a German brand SK, instead of Volvo- branded. I'm going to pull the other nine intakes and replace them all with Volvo parts. They may bend (when a tbelt goes) but I've never ever heard of this failure with them.

Replaced all the valves today

IMG_0745.jpg

cut up a cam cover to make a valve clearance & lift setting tool

IMG_0746.jpg

added extra baffles in the pan, copying the S60R pan setup

IMG_0751.jpg

stock baffles added back

IMG_0756.jpg

bottom end back together. Tomorrow, I'll put the head & Exhaust side all back together, then I just have to wait for the sprung disc from Spec to put it all back together.

Spec SO603FS disc came today

IMG_0785.jpg

added .050" shims to the PP standoffs to get the proper 9mm offset for the disc.

IMG_0786.jpg

Trans, Angle Drive, Exhaust back in place

IMG_0787.jpg

Replaced the Clutch Master, with a new Volvo unit. Royal PITA even with the bay empty. Once that was out of the way, I put the engine & trans back in. Mounts secured, driveshaft & exhaust attached. Gravity bled the clutch.

IMG_0791.jpg

hopefully it won't rain tomorrow after work, and I can get the axles in, then work on the intake, wiring & piping.

Lower heater hose ruptured at the clamp on the water pipe. I smelled burnt antifreeze, so I caught it before any damage was done. Just cut off about 12mm, and pushed it further on the pipe, the hose itself isn't 'mushy', it was cut by the clamp, I must have over-tightened it. Other than that, everything seems fine.

Took a phone video to capture the exhaust note

not shifting hard or going WOT, need to break in the clutch before that.

Data log

4th5th287S.png

Picture2-21.png

Never went much over 50% throttle, AFR's are still too rich. Timing looks good, and EBP's are much better than with the old setup - I'm not seeing any back pressure greater than 1:1. I removed one spring (of three) from the Tial EWG to lower regulated boost - it's now a stable 15psi instead of the 20 I had previously. Now I can start setting up the Apexi AVC-R to govern boost control over this base setting.

Back