Wanted 1.4 L turbo for engine swap.

TonyK

True Classic
Looking for 1.4L Abarth or Dart turbo engine. Need everything. Prefer electrics from same car.

5 Speed transmission required (manual) can use US shipping address in Kentucky.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

No

Dart engine and controller okay, but need 5 Speed manual box from Abarth to fit.

TonyK.

Hey Tony,

I don't have a lead on one, but I would call Standard Auto Wreckers. They normally part out the cars really quickly, but I got lucky and found a complete engine/transmission/harness/exhaust/etc. from them (different vehicle).

Thank Myron

Impressive site, no stock currently.

Will fill out a request form and see what happens.

TonyK.

Thanks for all of the responses

I have been successful in finding all parts for a swap.

This will take some time to complete and it will be the new year before I get into looking of how to do this on my test body. So with a little luck, good health and blind faith this project should happen.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Good luck Tony!

Hey Tony, I want to personally wish you all the best with your attempt at putting a new Fiat 1.4L turbo engine into an X1/9. I also think it would be a great tip of the hat to a Canadian if they can beat the yanks in getting it done! Seems like the USA is not what it once was :( I appreciate your strong pioneer spirit and I am glad that the Canadians are willing to take on a challenge.

Anyways, keep us updated with your progress and I really hope that this engine swap will be a viable option for many people to do in the future once all of the pioneers have blazed the trail for the rest of us to follow in their footsteps.

George

Thanks for the vote of confidence

I will be picking up the parts in the USA in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

I have some projects around the house to complete first before I dive into this. I expect this will take between 12 to 24 months of my spare time to complete. The 87 Bertone has been restored minus the engine and transmission. The engine bay was not touched. I have a test body to work out the kinks on.

TonyK.

Grimsy Ontario Canada.

What is your plan for the electronic management system?

Hey Tony, I am curious what your plans are regarding the electronic management system. When I talked to the factory trained Fiat mechanic where I live locally, while I was having the oil changed on my 2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione, about the prospects of doing an engine swap from a new Abarth 500 into and X1/9 he said that the biggest challenge in his mind off the top of his head was how to deal with all of the integrated systems in the new car that the engine management computer is tied into and will not work properly if it is not present in the X1/9. The radio, speedometer, hvac, abs, etc are all tied into the engine management computer and it must all be there in order for the system to work properly.

This is not unique to Fiat, since this is how all new cars work, but somehow the system has to be modified so the the engine will be able to perform on its own without having to communicate with all of these other systems. So have you cracked this dilemma or have you just not given it any thought? Please keep us informed if you are able to share with us everything that you have researched and have found answers to or solutions for. I hope that you are able to share all of your knowledge with us and I really hope that you and or others are able to make this engine swap a viable reality. I have been dreaming about this ever since Fiat returned to our shores and started selling the new Fiat 500 here. I personally feel that a X1/9 with a modern Fiat drive train would be just brilliant and wonderful!

Best of luck to you and everyone else who might be working on this very same project as we speak.

George

There will be issues.

That is why I have a test body.

Since the 87 X, my transplant car, has A/C this will be incorporated into the existing system.

ABS/ Traction Control. I have a few thoughts about this one. One is to mount all of the wheel sensors on 1 wheel so all are in sync all the time.

All cars will drive with a malfunction ABS and spit out a code. Since the X never had traction Control or ABS I am not really worried that it is not there. The company I work for every 4 years gives me a new Dodge Vehicle. In the winter months because I don't like ABS I just pull the ABS pump fuse. The light is on the dash, but the vehicle starts and drives fine. Yes I can actually lock up all 4 wheels when I stand on the brakes. I am fine with that as I find stopping distances shorter without ABS than with ABS. Also I have a steep down hill grade near where I live and ABS will not let me stop, it rather allows the vehicle to pick up speed as I go down the slope. I would rather stop a bit side ways than have full directional control as I run a stop sign. ( My opinion )

Another option is that the VIN number on the Fiat is also in the same sequence as the Dodge Dart. I have been following some Dodge forms where they are using an after market shadow ECU programer ( Bully Dog ) to shut off and manipulate certain systems within the ECU program.

The Speedo is part of the transmission and thus part of the ECU wiring. So it will stay.

I am not saying this is a slam dunk. But I won't get there without trying it in the test body and seeing where it will lead me. There will be trial and error here and compromise.

The entire package of the Abarth engine is very appealing and should be well suited to the X.

Now if I could only find a wiring diagram to start sorting out things in my head. If anyone has lead on one let me know. I suspect that I will have to purchase an on line tech pass and print off the information as required.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back