Wanted:4 into 2 exhaust manifold

pdxgeo

True Classic
prefer pickup in Portland or nearby if possible. I have many parts available to trade if you are looking for something.

thanks

Hardly the poor man's header anymore!

Can you believe that this sold for $230!:eyepop:

Does anyone still think that this a good price or would you be better of to get one of the custom made headers from Allison, Vicks or International Auto Parts? By the way, what is the best options for the twin pipe that needs to be attached to this header and the exhaust system that this twin pipe connects to? Do you get something custom made? The stock system that Chris Obert sells on his website is the European style system that has the tail pipe exiting on the left side of the car instead of the right so you would have to modify your rear valence in order to make that option work.

George

They're getting harder to find. Too many '74s went to the scrapyard without someone saving this bit (and the downpipe, which is much more durable than the rest of the muffler system).

Chris Obert has what might be the last NOS unused one in North America, asking $538. If it were mine, I doubt I'd let it go for much less.

By the way, what is the best options for the twin pipe that needs to be attached to this header and the exhaust system that this twin pipe connects to? Do you get something custom made? The stock system that Chris Obert sells on his website is the European style system that has the tail pipe exiting on the left side ....
That's a stock US '74 system as well. Not only does the exhaust exit on the wrong side for anything but the '74, but also the exhaust mounts are 74-specific and hard to find. An easy option is to start with the downpipe from a '74 system - one end will bolt directly to the manifold and the other end is just a tube and you can organize your own custom muffler/exhaust setup from there.

I have one of the downpipes hanging around somewhere, might could dig it out if someone is seriously interested.

Last edited:
Parts

I just ordered one from Germany, so it is a true euro manifold, which is better than the '74. Wider openings to allow more exhaust to flow. It was €149+shipping, so $230US$ is about right. However, the eBay listing is a used part, mine was brand new. Also, I picked up a 128 coupe down pipe for €25 + shipping, so that was be about $100 once its here. Again that was for a brand new part.

Here's a link to the manifold:

http://www.axel-augustin.de/shop2/F...::1254.html?XTCsid=0352kdfs434vd6fqm712mvkg23

Here's a link to the down pipe:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hosenrohr-Kr...eu-/380501374735?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160

Hope this helps....

Thanks for the clarifiction...

on the uniqueness of the 1974 exhaust system for the North American market. I didn't realize that 1974 was so unique in addition to the 4-2 exhaust manifold. Very interesting indeed.

Wild-Willy, did you receive the exhaust manifold yet? If so, how is the quality? Seems to me that your route is the better option because you are getting a new part plus the gaskets and mounting hardware to boot. I assume that the twin pipe from the 128 has to be modified for use in the X1/9 right? What type of muffler do you plan on using? Will it be a generic Magna Flow or something like that?:help: I will probably try something like this on my 1980 X1/9 to replace the stock system hoping to get some more power.

Thanks for the very useful links. I really appreciate it very much:)

George

They're getting harder to find. Too many '74s went to the scrapyard without someone saving this bit (and the downpipe, which is much more durable than the rest of the muffler system).

Chris Obert has what might be the last NOS unused one in North America, asking $538. If it were mine, I doubt I'd let it go for much less.

That's a stock US '74 system as well. Not only does the exhaust exit on the wrong side for anything but the '74, but also the exhaust mounts are 74-specific and hard to find. An easy option is to start with the downpipe from a '74 system - one end will bolt directly to the manifold and the other end is just a tube and you can organize your own custom muffler/exhaust setup from there.

I have one of the downpipes hanging around somewhere, might could dig it out if someone is seriously interested.

If the downpipe its for a 128 i would like to have a shot at it if George doesnt. Lmk if you find it!!...thanks

George

Me too... so if anyone wants a $230 4-2 manifold (1500 Euro Ritmo style), I can accomodate :) I will even throw in a used 4-2 flange with dual pipe extensions

euro manifold

It arrived on Saturday. I'm certainly no expert but the quality looks top notch to me. It included two gaskets, the one for the head and the one for the down pipe. The 128 coupe (and its very important is the COUPE) head pipe will come down to the bottom of the car and it actually fits nicely directly to the right of the jacking point in the middle of the car (engine bracket). It comes down to a 1.75" single pipe. I'll be cutting that off a little further back and fabricating a 2.25" pipe back to the muffler. My car already has a MagneFlow muffler, so I'll just get the pipes connected to that. Long term I have to do what Halojm posted about his '80 with the 2 pipes coming out the centre of the rear grill. That's a nice look to me. Hope this helps....

Back