WANTED 5 speed cross member with mount

wcarter4

'74 x1/9
I am in dire need of a 5speed cross member with the mount.
When i replaced my trans 2 weeks ago i kind of bent it and now the axle rubs badly. Midwest doesnt have a 5 speed mount but does have cross members so i could just need the lower mount.

Willie Carter
wcarter4*yahoo.com

If you don't need the exhaust bracket attached, Obert has lower mounts which he indicates will work with a 5-speed/late model.

When i replaced my trans 2 weeks ago i kind of bent it and now the axle rubs.

Willie Carter
wcarter4*yahoo.com

Bent cross members are more common than you think. I use the bfh and massage them back into shape, then weld in metal panels so all areas are triangulated. Haven't had one bend yet after the modification, and some cars are putting out a lot of power.
Sorry about the price of my mounts, but keep in mind they are the best quality I can get, and it's what I would use on your car if you brought it to me for service.
Chris Obert

Need a 5speed trans also

When i replaced my trans 2 weeks ago i kind of bent it and now the axle rubs badly. Midwest doesnt have a 5 speed mount but does have cross members so i could just need the lower mount.

Willie Carter
wcarter4*yahoo.com

The used trans i just put in 2 weeks ago is shot.

that is just what i need if it will work for a 5 speed.
its not a rush anymore since the trans that i just put in 2 weeks ago blew up. decided to park the car for the season and rebuild the original with the help of my mechanic.

Yes, it works with a 5 speed, designed specifically for a carbureted car.
Chris Obert

question for Chris

Yes, it works with a 5 speed, designed specifically for a carbureted car.
Chris Obert

http://www.fiatplus.com/lower-transaxle-mount-pr-284277.html

Have you had good success with these on 1500 carbureted cars? I used a new replacement 1300 style mount on my 79 which failed (axle rubbing on crossmember) within a few thousand miles. MWB states this is because the rubber is softer than those used on 1500 models, and the added weight/ softer rubber causes them to sag.

If you've had good luck with this one on a 1500 for $58 im in!

http://www.fiatplus.com/lower-transaxle-mount-pr-284277.html

Have you had good success with these on 1500 carbureted cars? I used a new replacement 1300 style mount on my 79 which failed (axle rubbing on crossmember) within a few thousand miles. MWB states this is because the rubber is softer than those used on 1500 models, and the added weight/ softer rubber causes them to sag.

If you've had good luck with this one on a 1500 for $58 im in!

It sure would be good to know where some of these "stories" come from.
Fiat did not differentiate between 1300 & 1500 mounts, only if they had the extra hanger for the exhaust system.
I suspect what you are referencing is instead different hardnesses of rubber used by various aftermarket mount manufacturers?
If you are rubbing your 5 speed inner cv joint on the crossmember you need to look at the entire mounting system as something else is failed.

If your car came to me for service I would have no issue using the mount, and to date no one has complained about the quality of the mounts I am buying in Italy made specifically for this application.
But please keep in mind that the mount has lots of stresses and lives in a harsh environment, so if there are other issues the mount, being one of the weaker parts in the system, it Is subject to failure.

You have already identified a bent lower cross member, look at the entire system and fix it, not just the part that fails because something else is causing it!

Chris Obert

Back