Water Pump leak after 671.5 miles!!

Robert Mose

True Classic
I have put 671.5 miles on my newly rebuilt X1/9 and now the water pump is leaking from the shaft seal. Has anyone had this happen before after such a short time? Is there something I could have done to cause this premature failure? Is it rebuildable? :wall::wall:

How about the belt pressure

If you over tighten the belt it will cause the pump to fail. Another thought is the pump was bad from the start. Water pumps are not too costly.....just my 1/2 cent idea......

Was the drive belt too tight?

Premature waterpump failure can only be caused by 2 things. A bad rebuild job where the seal was damaged during installation or the drive belt was too tight causing undo stress on the shaft bearing creating a gap that the seal can't correct.

I can't find the box that has the bumper :wall:

Sorry for your trouble Robert...

WOW...

Usually a pump seal fails IMMEDIATELY or after 10 years...

I don't have any suggestion of what to LOOK for either when ya get a new or rebuilt pump, except for smoothness when it turns.

Pumps are indeed rebuildable with a press and access to the correct seals... but I have never used a rebuilder like I have for alternators and the like. They must be somewhere... try contacting your SYMPATHETIC Mom & Pop auto parts store and do some asking around.

Chris and Matt might be able to help also...

One thing......

Are you sure it isn't from the one bolt that passes thru the housing and into the water jacket in the block? Or is that the motor mount..... Age! It's sucky

I took the rear panel out of the trunk and was able to see it dripping from the hole under the shaft. A new impeller is on its way from Matt.

Good find Hussein... but...

... Matt sells a pump for as little as 45 bucks...

The other problem I have with that kit (besides price) is MY ability to press it together WITHOUT ruining the seal. Ya only get ONE try!!!

You mean $11 dollars more... for a COMPLETE pump...

You A/C guys are always whinning!

HA!

And as I said... the BIGGER problem is pressing it together WITHOUT breaking the porcelin seal!

With all this talk of water pumps failing... I think my Vette has one leaking now! Thanks a lot! (Hmmmm... it wasn't leaking BEFORE I installed the A/C...)

Back