Way back North Carolina mechanic

Mike Richmond

True Classic
When I bought my Spider in 1977, I took it from the dealer in Durham to an independent Fiat mechanic in northwest Raleigh. He put the car up on the lift and retorqued everything on the chassis, basically the PDI the dealers never did. He looked like Chris Obert.

I'm wondering if any NC locals remember this guy.

MikeR ('86 X, 77 Spider, Beaverton, OR)

The dealer in Durham

When I bought my Spider in 1977, I took it from the dealer in Durham to an independent Fiat mechanic in northwest Raleigh. He put the car up on the lift and retorqued everything on the chassis, basically the PDI the dealers never did.

Ah yes, the dealer in Durham... O'Briant motors. Every time I brought my X1/9 in for service, a few unrelated fasteners would disappear... As if they treated the customer cars as an extension of their parts store.

For a while Peter Krause borrowed space on their shop floor, and I'd bring my car to him even though I wouldn't trust it to some of O'Briant's people. I well remember watching him tuning a truly gorgeous Maserati Ghibli there. Krause did end up in northwest Raleigh, so he may be the person you're thinking of: http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_&_Associates_LLC/Home.html

I am thinking Dan Lampson.... Asheville native that moved to Raleigh in the early to mid 70's...

Tim Nine may fit the description, but I do not know that he ever worked in a garage of any type... Just that crazy salvage yard of his...

Back