Weber 34 DTAR

If you meant DATR

is $130-150 for a working carb with choke cable high priced, average, or low?

If you meant DATR, it's a good/low price for a working carb - but the DATR doesn't have a manual choke or choke cable, so something is wrong here.

Be aware that most "working" carbs need a rebuild, or at least a good cleaning, before they can be used.

This is what the description says: Btw what does a "clean" entail?

ORIGINAL FIAT X1/9
This is a Carburettor removed from a low mileage 1500 X1/9.
It is a Weber 34 DATR 7/250 6J
and has been fitted with a manual choke converion.
The cable is included.
The carburettor was removed from a running car, but the car has been off the road for many years so would benefit from a cosmetic clean.

In this case, clean sounds like take the carb apart, solvent wash in a ultrasonic cleaner and put it all back together with a Weber rebuild kit. IMO, kinda expensive for a questionable condition carb.

What was/is the problem with the carb that is on the car?

Bernice

This is what the description says: Btw what does a "clean" entail?

ORIGINAL FIAT X1/9
This is a Carburettor removed from a low mileage 1500 X1/9.
It is a Weber 34 DATR 7/250 6J
and has been fitted with a manual choke converion.
The cable is included.
The carburettor was removed from a running car, but the car has been off the road for many years so would benefit from a cosmetic clean.

Nothing is wrong with my current carb other then the fact its puny, and I know that this is a nice upgrade without much $$ and the need for a new mani such as needed when upgrading to a DCNF

That carb would not be much of an upgrade.. If you're looking for more engine output, there are other places to start, like a good set of headers, cam and etc...

And, a bigger carb is not always a better carb for performance. The rest of the engine needs to have the ability to process increased air flow of a larger intake system.

Bernice

Nothing is wrong with my current carb other then the fact its puny, and I know that this is a nice upgrade without much $$ and the need for a new mani such as needed when upgrading to a DCNF

The car currently has a 4to1 header and less restrictive custom exhaust, and I'm planning to install an 1100 head this winter:nod:, SO.. should I buy this carb, or is there a better carb to purchase that bolts rite up?

The 34 DATR is stock on European 1500

The car currently has a 4to1 header and less restrictive custom exhaust, and I'm planning to install an 1100 head this winter:nod:, SO.. should I buy this carb, or is there a better carb to purchase that bolts rite up?

The 34 DATR is stock on European 1500, so I'd expect that paired with a Euro camshaft it would work well for you. But are you sure you want to convert to a manual choke? If not, you might want to hold out for a DATR with a functioning water choke (I may have one to sell) or see if Bruce of Bruce's Parts Bin still has any of his stash of new still in box 34 DAT left.

The 1100 head on a 1500 motor is unlikely to work well. It will bump compression a bit (a lot if you can get one without the circular recess) but you will have to do a huge amount of porting to make up for the reduced flow - a 1500 needs to breathe a lot more than an 1100.

If someone like Bernice or Matt or SteveC says something different, listen to them not me.

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the advise, I'll hold out for now, lemme know if you come across a working one in your parts cash. Btw I'm running a 1300. Also whats the pros and cons of auto choke versus manual? Ive never experienced a manual choke before.. well except when my wife gets pissed at me:help:

Sorry, missed that you had a 1300

Okay thanks for the advise, I'll hold out for now, lemme know if you come across a working one in your parts cash. Btw I'm running a 1300. Also whats the pros and cons of auto choke versus manual? Ive never experienced a manual choke before

Sorry, missed that you had a 1300. The 1100 head will work a lot better there, I think.

Disadvantages of the manual choke are that if you don't have a '74 (which came from the factory with a manual) you'll have to find some way of hacking the choke control into the cockpit, and you have to remember to disengage it when the motor is warm. Advantages are much more precise control, one fewer finicky automatic mechanism to adjust, and fewer stray hoses in engine bay.

Back