What car is this?

Bjorn Nilson

True Classic
Went to a car meet 1/2 hour from home this evening. About 100 cars, mostly big old American cars and one small Italian. --Guess who 😆. I am definitely not an expert in American cars but I recognize most of them, by make and model but today I noticed a car I never seen before or even heard about. It had no grill in the front or rear or sides so how is it cooled? The car didn't look bad at all but would have looked nicer with a front grill and different head lights IMO. Anyone heard about Avanti? I assume it is American.
IMG_20230607_185200.jpg

IMG_20230607_185132.jpg

Studebaker Avanti. I've seen many, but never a convertible. Makes me wonder if this is a custom. I'll have to go look it up.

Edit: now I see the third brake light. I'm just guessing but I think the Avanti went away before the third light became a thing.

Last edited:
It is an Avanti Convertible. Maybe an Avanti II Convertible. I think this may be a "post" Studebaker era relaunch of the car marketed simply as an "Avanti". The grill is very X like in that it is tucked under that front "bumper".

It’s an Avanti II. Original has round headlights. The original is cooled from a large opening below the front bumper, not sure how the reproduction car is done but probably similar.

They started making the convertible in 1982. I was interested in them when they came out in the mid 60s as the first car I ever remember riding in was my Dad's 1948 Studebaker. A friend of mine came close to buying one a few years back.

Back