What color should I make my X

mike3487

1980 X
So I am trying to decide what color to make my X this summer it is currently white, Bellow are the options i am looking at the Two in the bottom right Corner are both metallic the others are just gloss

the colors didn't come through very well on the chart the Red color is a nice ferrari red

Picture7-1.png

I think they look really good in white....

Then put a green, white and red stripe right over the center of the car.

Like this:
DSC_1548.jpg

My soon to be retired helmet.

Ciao,

If YOU can't decide for yurself...

... then paint it PINK! You can always say it was a Mary Kay Cosmetics prize~!

HA!

(Make a decision and stand by it!)

+1 for Keeping it white

Have you seen Martijn's white X posted up recently?? It changed my mind about white on X1/9's...

nicewhitex.jpg

It also depends on what the current condition of the car is?? Are you doing a spray over a fairly decent car or has there been major body work already??? It's a lot less work (and money) to keep close to the original color especially if the jambs and trunks are in decent shape.

It is going to be a vinyl wrap so the white paint will stay intact underneath but it has chips dings and dents and I need to replace the nose from a dent, I really want to do it just to see if I can, and Tony I do have a color in mind I just like to hear opinions on what others think looks good, here is the most recent photo of how the car sits now,
IMAG0010.jpg

Last edited:
I have to agree

I really like the white too, one of the cleanest looks for an X...

But the red, yellow, silvers would all rock too.

Colors

It's so personnal.

Personnaly, I hate red italian cars. Even Ferraris. So it is eliminating one color. As long as having it in a dark color, I would go to black, eliminating dark green, dark blue and charcoal. I like the monochrome look of black on the X1/9. But, if I was having a 74 or euro bumper car, I would love it deep yellow.

BUT... the color of the interior must matched. If you got the brown or tan interior (like I did), you should went all the way to also change for a black leather interior with a black dash.

If I had to support other choices, I like some shade of oranges (more flat than glossy) or the original lime green. I'm not a fan of white for X10, even if it is the color of my second car, unless it is the original color. If the original color of my car was interesting, then I would keep it. Mine was originally brown. Sorry, I hated it.

I know I'm criticizing some others choices, but this is what's : having variety. Driving everyday in a sea of red cars only would be a nightmare. Even a sea of black cars... :)

Daniel Forest
1980 Black Fiat X1/9
1987 White Bertone X1/9

IMO white is the worst color for Xs, even worse than the throwback brown of the '70s. White somehow manages to make the crisp angles disappear.

A bright yellow IMO is the best X color.

Color thoughts

Dark colors show ALL of the body work problems, black is the worst. better have a perfect body to wear black.

Dark colors also show dust, so you'll need to wipe her down before every outing.

Dark colors are hard for other drivers to see, and these cars are already small enough to be overlooked by an SUV.

White covers up many blemishes, and is the easiest to paint yourself if you tilt that way.

Yellow or Bright Green is easiest to see.

I've owned, A Yellow, White, Red, and now Neon Green.

I really liked the white but if I had to choose I'd go Yellow. Maybe because it was my first one...

Neon Green is growing on me

My $.02
BrianM

So what I was thinking is using the Gulf Racing Livery, use the ice blue vinyl as the base than orange accents kinda like this
Picture9.png

mufp_0805_round_08_z+2008_silver_springs_all_ford_roundup+72_pantera_gulf_colors.jpg

11-Mar-08-0300-GulfGTO.jpg

Last edited:
so it's a wrap ehhh

The business I work for does vinyl wraps....we did my boat last summer:

boatwrap.jpg

Couple things,

If you've got a car that needs bodywork, wrapping isn't going to hide it very well, unless it's especially busy (like my boat's design). The vinyl hides surprisingly little. You still have to get it smooth and straight...

Next week we're doing a 2 tone wrap on an EVO with 3M's new DI NOC textured carbon vinyl....should be sweet.

anyway, wrapping an X is going to be a job! be ready to spend a lot of time disassembling and reassembling. The application...well that's a whole 'nother story.

keep us updated!

Back