What do people think the proper term for this certain X19 screw is…

tvmaster

True Classic
For 1974-78 cars, there is a hex-style screw which holds the instrument cluster and Bertone speaker plate in place.
Is it called “socket head capscrew”?
That‘s the closest name I could find on Wikipedia. My 3/8 socket fits it, which would be 10mm?
I‘d like to keep one screwdriver in the glove box, so having the proper name would help order the correct driver.
Thanks.

Yes, it's a socket headed screw, but if I recall isn't it similar to a sheet metal screw on the threaded end? I don't remember them being machine screws.

For 1974-78 cars, there is a hex-style screw which holds the instrument cluster and Bertone speaker plate in place.
That‘s the closest name I could find on Wikipedia. My 3/8 socket fits it, which would be 10mm?
I‘d like to keep one screwdriver in the glove box, so having the proper name would help order the correct driver.
Thanks.
You could just get a set of Allen wrenches. Very easy to find and you can get decent quallity ones for not too much money. Like most other types of tools, there are many that are garbage as well. They also come as hex bits for those types of screwdrivers.

Thanks.
Short and long versions:

You could just get a set of Allen wrenches. Very easy to find and you can get decent quallity ones for not too much money. Like most other types of tools, there are many that are garbage as well. They also come as hex bits for those types of screwdrivers.
I have a set, but a couple of those screws are tight in a spot that Allens don't turn so well in - so I figured just one, straight, simple 10mm that stays in the glove box all the time.

No "thinking about" the industry standard term for this specific type of screw is ~Socket Head Cap Screw~

Allen (William G, inventor 1906) became a brand name that made socket head cap screws.

Difference between a screw -vs- bolt.

~Screws go into an internally threaded hole.
~Bolts have a nut on the end of the bolt.

These terms apply regardless of threaded fastener size.

Bernice

No "thinking about" the industry standard term for this specific type of screw is ~Socket Head Cap Screw~

Allen (William G, inventor 1906) became a brand name that made socket head cap screws.

Bernice
Hi. Here's where that initial term came from - scroll down about half way:

"A socket cap screw, also known as a socket head capscrew, socket screw, or Allen bolt, is a type of cap screw with a cylindrical head and hexagonal drive hole."

But what wikipedia calls things and what X19 owner's call things doesn't always jive :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_and_bolt_types

I carry a multibit screwdriver set. That way I can carry cross head, flat head and Allen key fittings. I also have a 6, 7, 8 and10mm socket for it.

Hi. Here's where that initial term came from - scroll down about half way:

"A socket cap screw, also known as a socket head capscrew, socket screw, or Allen bolt, is a type of cap screw with a cylindrical head and hexagonal drive hole."

But what wikipedia calls things and what X19 owner's call things doesn't always jive :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_and_bolt_types

IMO, each and every "wrecnher" be they doing this for livelihood or weekend pleasure or weekend chore MUST watch this NASA video on threaded fasteners.. to get some understanding of what they are, how they work and proper industry accepted terminology.

The accuracy/precision of threaded fasteners is often not appreciated until an individual makes threads by single point tool on a lathe..
If this is done, the appreciation of the degree of precision/accuracy of what goes into threaded fasteners can be appreciated in ways that could never be without this real world experience.
Mori, 16tpi, scratch pass.jpg

Mori MS850, 3:8-16 first threads.jpg

Scratch pass on the Mori Seiki MS850, threading from inside shoulder out, spindle running CCW with a bar style carbide insert threading tool.
Radial in-feed, not angle in-feed (lathe compound set at 29.5 or 30 degrees) as with "traditional American lathe education".. (this is a "hot topic" among machinist folks)...

BTW, rolled threads properly done are absolutely superior to cut threads in every way.

Bernice

Bernice
What happens if I put a nut on a screw or put a bolt in a threaded hole??? 😁

Back