What does this spring do under dash? 74-X (Pic)

BrianM

'74 - Blue Bomber
Putting the steering column back in and all the associated connectors and spotted this spring, it's hanging loose.
Any Idea's?
And while I'm at it what about this odd connector with the white/black wire?
SpringArrow.jpg

I believe that's the clutch pedal spring. The black thing you're pointing to lools like a ziptie.

Clutch "assist" spring, NOT "return". Those who have had the pedals out and inadvertently actuated the clutch pedal will know what I'm talking about. It goes over-center really quickly.

I agree it looks like the clutch spring with the wire i can look it up later see what the manual does say working at the corner of the Fiat.

As ng stated the clutch pedal already has the proper assist spring on it, if you look directly beyond the mounting hole of the connector you asked about.

The spring you're asking about must be specific to the early cars because I don't recall any such spring in that general vicinity on the later cars. I'm with ng, my first guess would have to do with the hvac system. My second guess would be something to do with the frunk release, although that's a long shot because the frunk release handle is on the pass side on the early cars,

Sorry for the un-clear description. Funny how confusing even a picture can be without the proper context.
Here is is again with a better arrow pointing to the spring hanging down from the dash. It is not the stiff of a spring and I can stretch it with my fingers. is ti from the climate controls? It's not impossible it is a PO add. There are a number of changes on this car.

P.S. Thanks for the answer on the Black/white. It goes the the break bias switch. Forgot to hook it back up.

SpringArrow2.jpg

Looks a bit like the spring for the glove box cover, but it's in the wrong place. Even if its fallen its on the wrong side.

Is it attached to anything on the other side of the spring? or is it loose?

A 74 doesn‘t have a spring on the glove box, does it?
I actually can‘t think of a place on the HVAC where there is a spring installed. 🤔

Back