What great ethics

It's an object lesson...

in how depositors have misunderstood their position in the banking world. I suspect that if you asked 100 people if their deposits were assets or liabilities for their bank 95 of them would say 'assets'. But, of course, this is wrong-deposits are a liability on the bank's balance sheet. So, if the bank is going to be able to turn those liabilities into something productive they need, in the first instance, to keep their costs of administering those funds down and pay out as little, if any, interest on them;then lend those funds out at rates that will produce a profit. Now the banks find themselves in a place where even administering the normal sorts of things like checking and debit card accounts costs too much against the potential for income off loans. Out goes interest rates on savings and checking accounts and in comes fees for walking through the door. An article a few days ago said that some banks are going to charge to deal face-to-face with a teller instead of a machine! With the new rules capping the income at the merchant end of debit card transactions the banks are going to the only other party left-their own customers.
I'm not sure what the big lesson is to be learned from this. Certainly if no bank had ever been TBTF then the taxpayer would not have been on the hook for the bailout; but seeing as they were TBTF and we did,in fact, bail them out, it seems reasonable that the banks give some quid pro quo beyond just not killing the global economy (which they seem to think is their sole legitimately required contribution). All that happened has so polluted the basic reward and punishment mechanism in the marketplace that it is hard to know what constitutes a breach of ethics anymore.:help::help:

Higher fees and interest rates at just about zero.... Wow it actually makes sense to stuff it all in the mattress.

the article posted said:
"Starting Oct. 1, the regulation will cap the fees that banks can collect from merchants whenever customers swipe their debit cards. Those fees generated $19 billion in revenue for banks in 2009, according to the Nilson Report, which tracks the payments industry."

When we switched credit card processing last week the guy that reprogrammed our credit card machine told me the fees were going way down in October due to a new law. I said "Wow, I hope the government doesn't start telling me how much I can charge for my services". Should anyone be surprised that they are looking for ways to make up lost revenue? Once again we see that the most dangerous words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

I said "Wow, I hope the government doesn't start telling me how much I can charge for my services". Should anyone be surprised that they are looking for ways to make up lost revenue? Once again we see that the most dangerous words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

Do you collude with other businesses to fix prices for some of your services? Was your bankrupt business bailed out by taxpayers? I'm thinking your answer is no on both counts, and therefore not the same situation as this. Banks should be making up their revenue shortfall by making quality loans, not by nickel and diming the very people who bailed their butts out.

This "blame the government for all ills" mentality fails to recognize that business must share responsibility, even if that means forgoing the last penny of income. We are first and foremost a society, and being part of that society means contributing to it not just ripping it off for a profit.

Yes, the situation is different because government intervention in the financial sector has turned the whole thing into a disaster of epic proportions. The regulations that created massive moral hazards, the bailouts and manipulation of interest rates that fuel massive unsustainable bubbles that led to the "need" for bail outs. I guess the last pats was the Fed not the government but still. If the banks are screwing us all for profit they aren't doing a very good job because they needed a bail out and are destined to need it again.

Well, you and Matt...

neatly describe the boundaries of the 'ethics' of this fait accompli.
What with the banks more or less bailed out and the opportunity to let their folly come to roost on them-we have now gotten in bed with the whole ugly mess and there seems to be an opinion abroad that the banks had best do right by us in some way. The position that the government having stuck its nose in one more time is only making a bad situation worse has some traction. How to reslove this? Who can say? It is indisputably true that the constant downward pressure on interest rates is not really the harmless tonic we might think. Ask yourselves how you would make money by borrowing cheap short term debt and paying it back by loaning out more expensive long term debt when the difference between the two is virtually nil when costs are taken into account. Thus is the basic problem with the traditional banking scenario at the moment.Thus is the lack of income from loans to pay interest and to give free checking accounts and debit card use. So they go looking for ways to make money. Credit card debt is still pretty profitable due to the lack of constraint on interest rates. Fees are a good way. What else??:hmm: Actually not much. What mortgages they can underwrite are few and far between and refi is a zero sum game if applied over the whole debt market. Student loans? Car loans? And then the banks still sit on those pesky 'toxic assets' that were being wished away under the aegis of the TARP program.
Retail banking is morphing into exactly that-you will pay for what you get from them, or someone will pay anyhow(merchants?)

Back