What struts to install; that is the question

CaliforniaX1/9

LarsSivad
Happy New Year to all.

My question is which strut should I install.

I don’t like the jarring nature of rigid struts and would like a smooth ride; don’t see myself worrying about race tracks but do wish to have good road handling.

Based on the many talented and knowledgeable folks out there I could use some advice and input.

What manufacture and model numbers should I get?

Thanks,
Larry

Easy...

Lots of folks around here run a setup of KYB GR-2 struts, coupled with either aftermarket or stock springs that have been cut one coil. The aftermarket springs are typically about 15% stiffer than stock, and coincidently, that is about the same increase in stiffness that results from cutting the stock springs. Results either way are a car about 1 to 1 1/2 inch lower.

A good sharp wheel alignment of 1/8 inch toe-in both front and rear and you are all set.

This sounds like just what you are looking for.

Extra bonus points for running Plaia Pivots and/or Bigfoot Strut Tower Doublers.

Ciao,

Agree with MP...

...that is the perfect streetX setup...with one addition.
Addco front sway bar.
LesX ran that setup with IAP/Vicks red springs,
and it was far nicer riding
than stiffer frontspring/no sway bar setup formerly on
my BlackX...now revised to softer front spring/swaybar.

Peter McPartland from Corvallis bought LesX,
so he can chime in about what a sharp setup it is.
Should be able to duplicate it new for around $900.

I'm working on converting a a set of Koni yellow (sport) strut dampes for a Volvo to the X using scratch built strut housings and Honda-evilbay threaded collars..

This is not a "bolt on" or simple conversion..

More on this later...

Happy New Year to all.

My question is which strut should I install.

I don’t like the jarring nature of rigid struts and would like a smooth ride; don’t see myself worrying about race tracks but do wish to have good road handling.

Based on the many talented and knowledgeable folks out there I could use some advice and input.

What manufacture and model numbers should I get?

Thanks,
Larry

would LOVE to see the results!

Not to hijack the thread, but I want to duplicate this also. Some double adjustable struts and replaceable/rebuildable inserts for a reasonable cost is just what the Dr ordered. I simply can't understand why some of the aftermarket struts (single adj spring perch at that) cost so much!? Please let us know what you come up with Bernice.

-Brody

I'd also like to see Bernices handiwork

I'm sure they will be killer. Mark Plaias strut bodies are also things of beauty.

If you want to get an idea for what's involved in building a set, there is a tech article on the lower right of the FerrariKillers website that shows a more "caveman" (that would be me) effort.

Pete

Sorry for interupting the strut building thread.....
Mark,
I am intrigued:) The 1/8" toe-in that you mention is that a DIY and is it difficult or do I bring the X to an allignment shop and request it?

'PeteX1/9

Alignment on an X is pretty easy.....

There are a number of articles on the web with various methods to set the toe in/out. Camber on a street car, I typically just leave alone.

Me, I have done my own alignments for many years. If one ever owns a race car, one learns all about alignment ins and outs. (pun intended)

The trick on toe in/out for an X is the rear alignment settings. At some point, you (or alignment shop) must ensure that the rear wheels are symmetrical. From that point forward, you can set rear toe the same way that you set front.

If you go in and just set the rears across the car, the way you do for the front, you can experience the possibility of substantially different settings side to side. I once had a perfect 3/16 toe in on the rear of my '81 X, just what I was looking for. Handled weird. Turns out one side was toed in, the other side toed out.

Ciao,

Back