What the heck?

are these?

found inside the oil pump during the rebuild. They look like spring locks, but I don't see where they could have come from. One is broken, so there would be 8 total:

what.jpg

extra parts maybe :confuse2:

nvm I see you already had the pump apart. hmm.... the plot thickens

Wrist-pin "keepers"???

I don't know... not sure of the size... but check the piston wrist pin holes to confirm.

Whatever they are or come from... its NOT a good sign...

Could they be coils of the pressure relief spring inside the pump?? that's about it for parts that belong there... otherwise it's something foreign.

SteveC

Something Foreign --

Could they be coils of the pressure relief spring inside the pump?? that's about it for parts that belong there... otherwise it's something foreign.
---- Italian, maybe? :)

Way to small to be from the wrist pin. Maybe part of a valve seal? (Yep, see below)

extra parts maybe :confuse2: -- Yep, you caught me red handed, Mike. Part of the secret weight removing process!

Here it is:

valve%20seal.jpg

Valve seal at top - mystery part at left, valve seal spring at right. Judging by the size, I'm convinced the mystery part was a clip around some previous valve seals.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Always sets the mind at ease when you figure out what those loose pieces are!

Last edited:
yeah those buts look pretty similar to the last pic. That was a looong way to travel from the head to the pan :sad: Hope nothing was damaged to badly.

That was a looong way to travel from the head to the pan :sad: Hope nothing was damaged to badly.
--> It only broke one of them! :grin:

Back