what to use for header/manifold mockup

autox19

True Classic
I need to make a custom Turbo Header/manifold. I am trying to figure out what I can use as a semi cheap material to mock it up to make sure it fits before I spend the big bucks on the stainless and weld it up. I already drew it up and thought I had all the clearances and after I cut up the stainless and tacked it up I found it didnt fit. (the nuts on the exhaust studs couldnt be put on because the bend right out of flange. )

any thoughts?

Odie

Not cheap, but effective. I have watched Taylor Ray build a fairly complex header for a Corvette with these blocks.

I have never built a header, so I am just thinking of things that might work. How about flexible conduit? It is aluminum, but I have no idea how well it would hold its shape after getting it into the position you need it. It does come in various diameters.

Maybe use plain steel exhaust bends first, then replicate it in stainless when you are happy with it? You can get universal mandrel bent plain steel "exhaust" pipes pretty reasonable online. Have you considered the ready made one for these engines?

Maybe use plain steel exhaust bends first, then replicate it in stainless when you are happy with it? You can get universal mandrel bent plain steel "exhaust" pipes pretty reasonable online. Have you considered the ready made one for these engines?
this is for the B. Using one made for the B will put it way past the firewall.
the attempt will be to go over the top of the valve cover. there is a H series in a X that looks like I might be able to finagle something if I move the fuel tank to the front and use that space. Long term project, no rush., etc...

Odie

the attempt will be to go over the top of the valve cover. there is a H series in a X that looks like I might be able to finagle something if I move the fuel tank to the front and use that space. Long term project, no rush., etc...

Odie
Makes sense, I was hoping something aftermarket for the B would work.

There's kits made to mock up a header, kinda like LEGO blocks. Not sure if that's what Jim referenced, I can't see the link at the moment. But they are costly.

Makes sense, I was hoping something aftermarket for the B would work.

There's kits made to mock up a header, kinda like LEGO blocks. Not sure if that's what Jim referenced, I can't see the link at the moment. But they are costly.
yeah I am thinking maybe flexable exhaust. or just wing it LOL The lego things are pretty cool. and if I were doing more I would jump on it. but you are right, it isnt cheap! not horrid, but...

Odie

Odie

Can't you get one for the B motor and mod it as I did with the PLM header on mine? Getting the tubes off the header right & welded without distorting is beyond my abilities.

Can't you get one for the B motor and mod it as I did with the PLM header on mine? Getting the tubes off the header right & welded without distorting is beyond my abilities.
I was wondering the same; seems there are a lot of options for turbo headers to fit Honda engines....up top, down low, in the front, etc. Something might be close enough to allow a couple modifications to work?

I was wondering the same; seems there are a lot of options for turbo headers to fit Honda engines....up top, down low, in the front, etc. Something might be close enough to allow a couple modifications to work?
been crazy busy today, I am planning on a Video to explain. stay tuned... :)

Odie

here ya go. also thought about coming running it after the normal header comes out behind the engine. not the best performance having distance from the exhaust, but I am not looking for max performance. I am looking for a little boost and to be honest, the turbo whine! also I do have a log method that I havent welded up but it was a bit janky even for me. I might end up having to go that route anyway

Odie

Warning: Incoming possibly really stupid idea. Could you use bolts for the top holes instead of studs and put the bolts thru the flange prior to welding the tube on? That would make the bolts kinda permanently installed in the flange. :) The head of the bolt still may not fit in that location. You would also need to start threading the bolts in as you line up the flange instead of hanging the flange on all the studs.

here ya go. also thought about coming running it after the normal header comes out behind the engine. not the best performance having distance from the exhaust, but I am not looking for max performance. I am looking for a little boost and to be honest, the turbo whine! also I do have a log method that I havent welded up but it was a bit janky even for me. I might end up having to go that route anyway

Odie
I see what you want to do now. A few thoughts....

As you say, possibly add it onto the existing header - although that's not ideal it really isn't that bad. There are factory and aftermarket installations that are much worse. The added exhaust length will cause a very small amount of lag; depending on the turbo selected this may not be an issue. Once it is spooled up it does not affect things.

Personally my welding skills are not great so I'd be inclined to relocate the fuel tank and use a existing manifold. But I get not wanting to do that.

As for your existing model with the top studs/nuts not fitting. Maybe something along the lines of what @JimD said; however slot the top holes on the flange so the bolts are already partially installed and the header is slipped under the bolt heads, then tightened?

You also mentioned a "log" style manifold. That isn't too bad of design. There are several aftermarket companies that make them for Chevy LS engines and such. Run the log straight out to one end then come up to where you want to mount the turbo.

Regarding mounting the turbo up top. When I have time I'll look for some images I've saved of cool turbo installs like that. :)

Regarding mounting the turbo up top. When I have time I'll look for some images I've saved of cool turbo installs like that. :)
There is a h series vtec in an x19 with a top mount. He relocated the tank (still an option.)

Here is the log version.
20210915_183515.jpg

Pretty cheesy. But it will fit. This is why the thread started. I am trying to find a way to mock things up without having to tack weld things up just to see if it fits. I do like the idea of slotting. That could help/work for sure. I do have a bolt in the left spot in the video. It's a black Allen type.

Odie

Odie,

I'd suggest trying pipe-insulation or pool-noodles to mock up a header design. You can cut pieces to known lengths with it straight, then bend it around as needed to get an acceptable route. A heat gun might help it to relax and hold a shape (or it might just melt it...). Or you could insert lengths of bendable-but-firm rod to help hold a shape.
I haven't done exactly what I'm describing, but I have used Tygon tubing similarly, to mock up valve sections for Bass Trombones.

Hope that helps,
Brian

Back