What's required to turbocharge a 128 engine

Pieter X1/9

Low Mileage
Hi. What needs to be done to a fiat 128 1300 Engine before turbo charging it. 86mm Bore.

Hi I heard that all you have to do is put 4y6 pistons and 4y6 bearings where the crankshaft sits

Thanks in advance

Like everything in life, it depends is the answer. First, what is the purpose of this engine? Race Only? Mostly city driving? Weekend driver? Daily driver? Depending on your answer could change the results.

However, please note there is really no simple swap out pistons and bearings and you are good to go. The stock block can accept a small amount of boost, however, The true turbo cars Fiat did produce have things like special valves to handle the heat, underside piston oil squirter's for additional cooling, special head gaskets and intake gaskets.

Anyways, looking forward to what you are going to do with it.

Thanks. I'm deciding whether I want to keep it NA or to Turbocharge it. I know a guy that build a few for race use he kept blowing engines I thinks its because of the cuts on the surface of his block 🤦‍♂️. And not cleaning his bores. I know he didn't clean them because of the scratches on the pistons. I want to make sure because I dont want to have 30min of fun and the to start all over again.

So because I love this X1/9 I would prefer to have it as a weekend toy maybe even for night drives too.

For the track I'll buy another X1/9 and build that one. One day when I'm rich.

Last edited:
I would agree with Bjorn, however, if you are happy with a small amount of boost, say 6 to 8psi vs. say 16psi you can do with an Uno Turbo, then a stock block would probably be ok. However, the intake gasket would need to be sourced from an uno turbo, and you would probably be better to get a metal headgasket as well. Even with simple things like this, it can escalate in cost pretty quick. The hardest part would be control of fuel and the burn mixture. Simply bolting on a later 1500FI system and running it under boost would not work well and cause weird problems. So, again, you would need a stand alone ECU. Cost difference between this and a older Uno Turbo might not be that far off. However, even with the Uno Turbo, it is a system that is now 30 years old.

I am in the same boat, I have an Uno Turbo in my X and I need to rebuild it. Cost and technology on this is going to be a pain, and newer cars are kind of appealing from their performance and availability of parts too.

Anyways, some things to think about and I am sure others have opinions and ideas as well.

Thanks. I'm deciding whether I want to keep it NA or to Turbocharge it. I know a guy that build a few for race use he kept blowing engines I thinks its because of the cuts on the surface of his block 🤦‍♂️. And not cleaning his bores. I know he didn't clean them because of the scratches on the pistons. I want to make sure because I dont want to have 30min of fun and the to start all over again.

So because I love this X1/9 I would prefer to have it as a weekend toy maybe even for night drives too.

For the track I'll buy another X1/9 and build that one. One day when I'm rich.
There are specific changes to the NA version of the Lampredi SOHC motor when it was turbocharged. The block went from Siameses cylinders to non-siamese for added cooling, oil spray jets for the pistons and more. Most important is engine management which was specific to turbocharging. Engine management is the key to making a reliable turbocharged engine on top of all the other modifications needed. The idea and beliefs of simply taking an engine designed for NA then adding a turbo does not work for long if at all. If a turbo Lampredi SOHC engine is wanted, as others have mentioned before start with a Uno Turbo engine, make it as good as possible with a complete re-build and known high quality oem or better parts including the oem engine management system.

Do know the power delivery of a turbo engine is not the same as a NA engine, IMO, due to the nature of the exxe chassis a high RPM normally aspirated engine is preferred. Steering with the throttle is easier/better/ typically more responsive with a high performance NA engine as turbo lag can be a very real issue. This is less so for a road car..

It's all a trade-off.
Bernice

I have an uno turbo block and it works well. But if I was starting this process again I would consider looking for a punto gt engine as a start point. I believe this was the last incarnation of the turbo charged Lampredi SOHC engine. It has some nice features on it that are really nice. The crank position sensor where the distributor goes which if I remember correctly gives a distributor less ignition, the more modern belt drive for the ancillaries and more importantly a more modern ECU.
Admittedly these are harder to come by and so more expensive, but if you can find one that's what I would do.

Both UT Mk1 and MK2 are old designs. If you are looking for high reability and power some components must be replaced regardless of generation; ECU, sensors, and ignition. If going for +160 hp, bigger injectors, turbo and IC are needed. I would go for the bulletproof Mk1 engine and the Mk2 (C510) gearbox for robustness.
UT engines has become rare so if you find one buy it, Mk1 or Mk2. Neither of them will disappoint you.
I somewhat agree with Bernice regarding a high revving NA engine in the X. But the cost for building a 9000 rpm 150 hp engine is ridiculous high compared to building a 250 hp UT engine.

What needs to be done to a fiat 128 1300 Engine before turbo charging it.
This is exactly the question I asked myself a few years ago (except for a 1500 engine).

The X is very underpowered and I am living in a region where having AC is mandatory most of the year. If you think a non-AC X is slow, try one with the AC running. :( I wanted a performance upgrade but not a race car; in other words very streetable, fun, reliable, and 'sporty' with the AC on.

As @Bjorn Nilson said, the cost to build a high performance NA SOHC is far more than it's worth. Not to mention the other trade offs it brings (decreased reliability and a peaky power band with little torque are just two examples). And it really won't get you all that far into the "performance" realm. @fastx19's suggestion of a complete swap to a "modern" drivetrain (e.g. Honda, Toyota, Mazda, VW) is the ultimate route. But it is a huge task to accomplish. And more costly than I wanted to invest in a cheap car. I really liked the idea of using a Uno Turbo drivetrain due to the simplicity of installing it, providing enough power to be fun, while still reliable. However finding a UT engine/trans here in the USA is very rare. And purchasing one in Europe and shipping it here is quite costly. But the UT concept got me interested in seeing what might be done with adding a turbo to the original X engine (1500 in my case).

Many years ago I looked into turbocharging in general. Unfortunately in those days there really wasn't much development for it and it simply had not evolved enough. The results were very discouraging to say the least. However fast forward to today, where we have the benefit of years of OEM development utilizing turbochargers in mainstream production vehicles, and things are very different. Add to that how the aftermarket has embraced the turbo and the concept becomes a viable option. So I did a ton of research to find out if adding a turbo to the X might be a realistic possibility for me.

As it has been said, it really depends on what your goals are. In my case I wanted to keep the overall cost below the other "performance" options. I wanted it to provide enough of a power increase to make driving the X fun (with AC), but still be reliable. And I wanted it to be very "drivable" on regular roads; meaning a wide power band with plenty of torque. The best answer would be retaining a stock engine (more on that later), adding a small turbo, keeping the boost below 10 PSI, use a aftermarket (standalone) ECU, improve the engine cooling/thermal management, and source affordable components to build it from. That came in the form of a turbo and exhaust manifold from a UT (which was not too difficult to find at a good price), the "MicroSquirt" ECU from MegaSquirt, commonly available sensors/triggers/ignition (GM, Ford, VW), and some generic aftermarket accessories (BOV, WG actuator, intercooler, oil cooler, large radiator, MLS head gasket, studs, etc). The expectations - based on the experiences of others - is around 130+ HP and a ton of midrange torque.

The X's SOHC has some characteristics that are not beneficial in a high performance NA build, but actually advantageous for a boosted build. Such as its low compression ratio, pistons with thick crowns and ring landings, and heavy but strong internal components. I decided to rebuild the engine and in the process perform a few things to give it the best chance of surviving. A couple of keys to that are getting all of the tolerances correct for a boosted application, using a MLS head gasket and head studs, basic "blueprinting" of all systems to assure everything works correctly, and proper assembly techniques. I believe the stock crank, rods, and pistons, along with the original oil squirters in the rods, will be good so long as the boost level is kept reasonable as I mentioned. Likewise the standard bearings and oil system are fine provided they are in good condition and properly toleranced. A couple of good upgrades I would recommend over stock are a Euro spec X1/9 cam and stainless valves. For now I have the stock valves (I just want to see how they hold up first), but direct replacement SS valves are available at a very reasonable price. Detonation is the real killer with a boosted application. So keeping things cool, having a conservative and accurate tune, and limiting the boost are vital.

My turbo build is still in progress but based on the expenses so far, and the cost of a few remaining items, the total will be under $2000 for the complete engine and related components. But keep in mind that I do all of my own work so that does not include labor. Naturally the sky's the limit on cost if you want to go all out; the greater the boost level you run, the more you will need to replace stock components for ungraded ones. However the real limiting factor with the SOHC is the restrictive head design....trying to force more boost through it will exponentially elevate charge temps and detonation will result. So there is a limit to what can be done.

The thread linked below was started about the time I began researching this concept. It offers a lot of good discussion about what's needed. I haven't documented my whole turbo build but I will once I get it completed and can offer some actual results and outcomes.

Thank you everyone for your time and sharing your expertise. I'll decide and make a decision about turbocharging the car and whether or not I'll buy the punto or uno turbo engine and just keeping the fiat 128 engine 1side in case something happens once I have the money for it.

Back