What's your favorite year X?

5SP33DB0X19

Daily Driver
Personally, I'm partial to the looks of the '74, but since I own a '79, which I found out AFTER I bought it, has TONS of year-unique parts, so I'd have to say that the '79 is my personal favorite. :italia: What's your favorite year?

I prefer 1985 because it's the newest model without the center brake light but any X with fuel injection is fine by me.

The 1978 Lido rocks

The only UK model with chrome 1/4 bumpers and cream alcantara trim, with a mid 80's Bertone VS graphite over red with all red interior a close second.

Depends on the country...

I suppose that it depends on where you reside. For the UK, Europe and Australia I think that you can't go past the '78 Special Series with ladder stripes and larger front spoiler. In bright green of course!

Cheers,
Dom.

Disclaimer: I'm totally biased as I have one of these ;)

Id have to say 74', because that was the way it was meant to look. It didnt have the big add on safty bumpers that just added weight and took away from its clean lines. Plus that original early interior stomps all the later interiors by miles. Of course, it has to at least have a 1500 for some decent motivation.

Favroite.. USA market,

* 74' Closest to the original design and concept of what Bertone intended the X1/9 to be. My 74' is the current rolling project, there is much to do before it will be a proper X.

* 80'-81' with EFI, Nice before Malcom B. talked Bertone into trying to make the X into a car it never was intended to be.

* 88'-89' Bertone done with the Malcom B. nightmare and tried to go on their own in the US market. Removed most all the Malcom B. "up-grades" and became similar to the 80'-81' cars..

There are slight to significant difference in the X each year. There were differences between cars built in the same year..

Bernice

Personally, I'm partial to the looks of the '74, but since I own a '79, which I found out AFTER I bought it, has TONS of year-unique parts, so I'd have to say that the '79 is my personal favorite. :italia: What's your favorite year?

Bernice, what are the removed upgrades of the 88-89 cars?

I wasn't aware that there were any MB upgrades removed from those years except for maybe optional AC.

Arman

*Many 88's did not have AC.

*The leather interior is gone, replaced by cloth.

*Better steering wheel.

*Different wheels (Speedline -vs- Cromodora Tron), stock Pirelli P6 tires, 185/60/13.

*Bertone kept and improved corrosion protection in the 88' beyond the MB cars. These cars have LOT of seam sealer, waxed, electro applied primer sealer. But the clear coat failed in the same way most European cars from that time did.

*Went back to a single color scheme.

*Got the rear wing (never really cared for it).

*Lower transaxle mount went back to the support arm similar or equal to the ones used in the 74'

*I'll need to think more and finish this list..

Bernice

I wasn't aware that there were any MB upgrades removed from those years except for maybe optional AC.

Arman

74 and 81

I enjoy both of these years for different reasons.

The 74 simply because it was my High School car back in the early 80's and I still own it today.

The 81 because of the long distance trips my wife and I would take in it. It had the strada gear set, so cruise speed was 80mph at 40mpg. It was great!

Eric

Sort of like the early VW.....

They are all same with slight improvements along the way. Personal preference for some items (aesthetic issues like seats and dash) versus substantial improvements like ffuel injection, and electrical wiring. Perhaps your question is which looks best or which drives best. Looks are in the eye of the beholder whereas performance is more objective. The latter cars drive the best. Looks are personal choice.

The primary changes are:

BUMPERS
Carb vs Fuel Injection
Gears

Early bumpers versus ladder bars versus the late mono bar with trim
Either early or late wins for me.

Carb versus Fuel injection is easy, Fuel injection all day long

Four or five gears is just as easy, five gears is better

The rest of the car is the same. Just nuances. Slightly different struts, different dash, but same gauges, engine lid styling, seat materials, electric windows, air conditioning, all small items. The chassis is the same. The suspension pick up points are the same. The sheet metal is the same.

In the end a nice car is better than a beater.

Just my opinion,
Bob

73' EUROPE STYLE ,79 and 87 US STYLE

I love the style from early years EUROPE VERSION.
But my X1/9 is a combination from an Early Europe version, 79' US version model carbed and a 87' grand finale version.

I use "the best of both worlds" on my X1/9 to make my favorite style.

img7782g.jpg

Personalized

Ricardo, Yours looks great. Bumpers, wheels and top are all my favorites. I think it is nice that everyone can personalize the X to suit their desires.
Bob

...before Malcom B. talked Bertone into trying to make the X into a car it never was intended to be. ...Bertone done with the Malcom B. nightmare and tried to go on their own in the US market. Removed most all the Malcom B. "up-grades" and became similar to the 80'-81' cars..

I guess one could fault Malcom Bricklin for a lot of things, bad taste and ego among them, but if I were to ever meet Mr. Bricklin I would give him a big hug. Sure as my Bertones have been Honda reliable, without his entrepenuership, we would have had ZERO Exxes in the U.S. after Fiat was done with it. I think there is some room to be grateful, don't you?

I agree with you about certain esthetic choices foisted on the later cars, but for me personally, I have no interest in ever owning another "Fiat" X1/9 because I've come to see the later "Bertone" cars as being put together with far more care and attention to detail.

I think the '74 still represents the purest form of the car. My buddy Carl's '76 distills that pretty well, I think:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeovington128/IAPDay2010#5518760707148281026
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeovington128/IAPDay2010#5518760712509352290
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeovington128/RockvilleCarShow2010#5529140645556619986

However, my personal preference to drive is the '84-to-'86. I think it is a totally practical classic: safe and modern enough to drive daily, fuel efficient and reliable as any Asian car, the design has aged VERY well thus beautiful to look upon, especially in black:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeovington128/RockvilleCarShow2010#5529141101795577282
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeovington128/IAPDay2010#5518758866484073426

John O.

However, my personal preference to drive is the '84-to-'86. I think it is a totally practical classic: safe and modern enough to drive daily, fuel efficient and reliable as any Asian car, the design has aged VERY well thus beautiful to look upon, especially in black:

John O.

This would be true of any FI 1500 except for the Bertrone thing, no? Find myself wondering what Bertrone did better than Fiat.

This would be true of any FI 1500 except for the Bertrone thing, no? Find myself wondering what Bertrone did better than Fiat.

You'd think that would be true. I used to have a Bertone flyer where they state something like 300+ improvements to the car, but I couldn't say for sure. I just know that the Bertones feel more like an "adult" car to me than the Fiats, but it might just be perception.

John O.

now that explains.......

You'd think that would be true. I used to have a Bertone flyer where they state something like 300+ improvements to the car, but I couldn't say for sure. I just know that the Bertones feel more like an "adult" car to me than the Fiats, but it might just be perception.

John O.

why I feel like a kid, when I drive my FIAT :headbang:

Back