Wheel Bearing replacement, with pics

glenegan

True Classic
I followed Ulix' instructions on replacing the bearings but thought I would take pictures to illustrate. These are for a 1987.

I loved the way the E-Type suspension looks so I nickel plated the uprights:

DSCN1051.jpg

I bought a full kit for the bearings including the seals, nuts, snap rings and covers. I press fit the bearing into the knuckle using the press - be sure to push it in straight, that was the trickiest part of setting it up on the press. After the bearing was in place I secured it with the snap ring (it's a whole lot easier to put on!)

DSCN1052.jpg

I then setup the hub to press into the bearing I pushed on the (gold) metal cover and attached the rubber seal to the hub making sure that the "V" side of the rubber seal faces the bearing.:

DSCN1053.jpg

Back to the press, making sure to support the inner race of the bearing while pressing in the hub (I used a large socket).

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN1057.jpg

I then fit the other gold cap, followed by the washer and rubber seal (again "V" towards the bearing) and fit the hub nut.

DSCN1059.jpg

The rear bearings are pretty musch the same process except instead of the snap ring you have the screw on retainer staked in place:

DSCN1043.jpg

And the rubber seal fits on the hub the same way:

DSCN1047.jpg

All done:

DSCN1060.jpg

Cheers,

Glen

Bravo

Glen bravo,

I like your simple writing and the good quality pictures.
Thanks for sharing:grin:

Very nice work!

Thanks for the pics, always makes it easier to follow!

What did the nickel plating cost, if you don't mind me asking?

BOB BROWN... LOOKY HERE!!!

"I loved the way the E-Type suspension looks so I nickel plated the uprights..."

Bob... you have some work ahead of you...

(HAHAHA!)

GLEN... This "Museum Piece" you're building...

... is simply AMAZING!

Are you really gonna drive it or put it on display somewhere. Is there a single part you are NOT gonna plate and replace?

This is some amazing (I said that already, huh...) work yur doing... and all right... I'll say it... EXPENSIVE too!

I can't wait to see more!

not cheap, for sure, but.....

.. for the end result it would seem worthwhile for a pristine rebuild, which I assume the car is to be? :grin:

Any links to pics of the rest of the car?

Wow GLen, if you ever

decide to change the 'color' on those parts, send them to me and I'll
promptly replace them with those on my '86. :grin:

Very nice indeed! :worship:

Nice pics, great writeup

Should be in our wiki or whatever is replacing the old "Best of".
Thanks Glen

Hey Glen... did you consider or look into...

... other forms of plating, like cadium or ???

Costs, benefits? Nickel sure looks NICE and easy to care for also...

It's electroless nickel plating

The same thing I have seen used on old jags and historic F1 cars. I figured if it was good enough for them it's good enough for me :)
I don't think there is a very big cost difference between nickel, zinc and cad plating, it is harder to find cad and i don't think it looks as nice and you can't anodize steel.

I used black epoxy on my other set of uprights but it didn't look as good:

DSCN1035.jpg

And here they are on the car with the polished calipers, powder coated shields and nickel plated spacers:

DSC_0162.jpg

Hehe, well at least I will know that they look nice under there!

HA... Hey Glen... those rotors look kinda sad...

... in comparison to everything else!

Let me (spend more of your money) and suggest you purchase some new slotted and drilled rotors and then finish off the edges in GOLD!

HA!

You can use some high temp paint though... No thanks is necessary!

Thank you for the tutorial.I am tackling the bearings next week,and the factory manual is very lean on info for the job !
Craig

Back