Wheel opinions - Which ones look better??

1FastX19

Daily Driver
I was thinking about modding the wheels. I was thinking about getting every other recesss painted silver to make the wheel look like a wide six spoke instead of a turbine. I did a little Photoshop to see how it might look.

Turbines
originalwheels.jpg

Modded Turbines:
newwheels.jpg

Decisions, decisions!

I like them both, but prefer the turbines over the modded ones.

I keep coming back to these two pics...

I am starting to like the modded ones more than the others now. They make the stance seem a bit more aggressive.

I really like the normal Turbines, I am not fan of the modded ones. I think that the fat spokes "VIP" look does not fit on the X.

I'll see if I can find some silver removable paint. The photoshop is not entirely accurate. It makes the spokes look flat which they really won't be.

I will probably stick with the unmodded. The skinny spokes do seem to favor the small car than the wide spokes do.

The modded turbines...

...sort of make the car look like a Mattels Hot Wheels. Still think both look good.:hmm:

The stock turbines look WAY better

IMHO anyway. That is a pretty good looking set of wheels as it is. I like the shiny edges on the fins.

What type of balancing issues do you anticipate from the modding process? Seems like your modding process could be introduce some interesting issues into what was originally a cast one piece design.

No balance issues....my mod would only be paint. I know it looks filled in, but that was my best attemp at photoshop.

Ahhhaaaaa!

OK. I was wondering how all that additional metal was going to work out. My bad. I didn't read close enough!

Interesting concept...

Looks good as PS mod.
Reservation is how it would look in motion.
Suspect kinda "busy".
Like white letter tires.

FYI...resto of the wheels took over 20 hours.
Cast areas were sandblasted to virgin metal,
then epoxy primer to insure good bond and level cast texture, then catalyzed acrylic enamel.
Those are one of the few domestic wheels that have semi-euro look.
Notice there is no conventional "stepped lip" on wheels.
Spokes extend to edge of rim, giving a "plus 1" impression.
Seldom seen with recessed cast areas blacked out,
and mirror polished leading edges.
Lotta folks checked out polished calipers...
icebluewheel.jpg

Yeah, I don't think with the amount of work you put into them that I will mod them. It is just me trying to put my own pesonal touch on the car.

Leave 'em

The turbines look better. The painted sections would make the wheels look "weird" imho.

I say doubly leave 'em alone since you spent so much time on them. If you want a different look just shop around for a second set of wheels. Matt sells wheel sets pretty cheap. Plus you could have a second set to use to put sticky rubber on for autocross or other such silliness.:)

i think those are some of the nicest wheels ive seen on an x. and nothings wronr with making it lok like a hot wheel. i have over 5,000 of those things. they paid for a lot of fiat parts.

Body color works only on dark cars...

While I didn't try body color on these wheels,
I've done enough wheel resto to know
that only works with dark colors.
Cast areas aren't attactive,
so the idea is to make 'em disappear,
and create a "lighter" visual by highlighting just the spokes.

Prefer satin, but that winds up looking grey after time passes.
Gloss is much easier to clean,
and sheds dirt, so they stay clean longer.

I did try body color on steel four spokes,
thinking the silver-blue color might work.
It didn't...

Thx to all for nice words about the car and wheels.
I put hundreds of hours into resurrecting it,
and many years of daily driver use.
Only sold it to justify buying a 128 for winter daily driver.
Real glad to see it went to serious X head.

I like the looks on both of them, but I prefer the black turbine ones.

I've got matching red color on mine, don't like it all that much so they are to be replaced. :help:

Rightside.jpg

Back