Wheel size & offsets for Eurosport Body Kit

griff7

Hello All,
I have an '85 X1/9 and partially installed a Eurosport Bodykit more than 5 years ago. My first daughter was then born, and the car has been garaged since. I haven't been on this forum in the past 5 years (used to be a regular, nice to see it still exists).

Anyway, I need to move the car but the tires are dry rotted. I had planned for buying wider wheels/tires for the flared out fenders. I know I had some notes 5 years ago about what wheel sizes/offsets to get but cant find them. I this would be a good time to buy the wider wheels rather than getting new tires for wheels I don't plan on using.

So does anyonw have any recommendation for wheel/tire sizes.

Thanks,

Marvin

Hey Marvin... welcome back!

The easiest solution I know of is a FRIENDLY tire dealer who is willing to work with you... and they are rare. You'd also need to get the car rolling at least to get it to the shop... or flatbed it!

If you've watched these car shows on TV and the like, even the PROS have difficulty in calculating the correct offsets, backspacing, widths and heights... and there is NOTHING like trying on a sample of the real thing.

The best thing to do is to mount a tire on a similar wheel and TEST FIT it on the car. Don't forget that BIG and LITTLES are an option also, and in fact, my favorite preference.

Its a real ($$$) bitch to order a set of wheels and tires only to find there is an interference problem!

Saying all that though.... in the 1.0 version of this site (Best Of) you can still find some Tire Calculators... and if your suspension and brakes are stock, then the stock backspacing figures would remain the same. Everything else, the offset, height, width, then the wheel size (13, 14, 15, 16???) and the aspect ratio (45, 50, 60, 70, 80 series) of the tires would also come into play for both the LOOKS and PERFORMANCE.

I tend to place performance first... and IMHO, would never go bigger than a 15 inch wheel on this car and a 50 series tire. But then again, I'm old.

Sorry to be so vague, but I'm also being REAL. HTH...

Great stuff Cal... I forgot all about using...

... FWD positive offset wheels and spacers... it add an entirely NEW set of dimensions to the equation. Great find and a great car!

Thanks for the tips. I emailed the other Eurosport owner and hopefully he can give me the info I need.
Marvin

Back