Where to start, where to start....

tdskip

True Classic
OK folks - so here is the deal. I am not (not not not, must keep repeating) going to focus on getting the car going with the current 1300 since I'll have to do it all over again with the rebuild 1500. So with that in mind, what jumps out at you from the pictures below that will need sorting before the 1500 goes in. She will be running a Weber.

What upgrades should I be thinking about going after given what is already removed / missing here?

Thanks!

Fiatenginebayasbought8-1-10.jpg

Fiatenginebayasbought8-1-103.jpg

Fiatenginebayasbought8-1-101.jpg

Fiatenginebayasbought8-1-104.jpg

Fiatenginebayasbought8-1-102.jpg

A few things

-Dogbone engine mount (need 1500 version not 1300)
-Existing valve cover from 1300 will need to be transferred over to new 1500 for proper cable connection
-Oil pressure sending unit port doubler required on the 1500 to keep gauge and warning light (1500s only have a single port)
-Lightened 1500 flywheel w/1300 ring gear, and bigger 1500 clutch assembly preferred since you'll have the trans off
-79-80 intake manifold or preferably 74 (definitely not 75-78)
-Headers or 74 exhaust manifold
-Bosch electronic ignition from 79-on (or Yugo) and ditch the Ducellier points-based dizzy.

Those are the big hitters.

-M

1300 dogbone with a 1500

Matt, I dropped a 1500 into my 76 but kept the 1300 dogbone. Everything seems to work OK, am I screwing something up with the wrong dogbone?

carl

Carl....

No, you're not screwing anything up with using the 1300 dogbone, but it does change the angle of the motor, which affects windage in the oil pan and steady-state float levels in the carb. The difference in length is enough to lay it back 7 or 8 degrees.

About the only forgivable rationale for using the 1300 dogbone on a 1500 is when your 1300 PBS-style header sits too close to the rear suspension pickup and rattles on the chassis because its overall length is too short. Using the shorter 1300 dogbone will usually give the clearance needed for a comfortable fit.

-M

OK guys - sorting through the parts buy where I scored the 1500 & 5 speed.

I have a complete FI intake - is the intake manifold unique to FI cars? How about the downpipe?

Seeing that I have all of this, but not an FI head, would you stay with the plan to run a Weber or suck it up and jump to an FI set up? I have the CPU as well.

Thanks!

DSCN4680.jpg

DSCN4681.jpg

FI and carbed intake manifolds are completely different

OK guys - sorting through the parts buy where I scored the 1500 & 5 speed.

I have a complete FI intake - is the intake manifold unique to FI cars? How about the downpipe?

Seeing that I have all of this, but not an FI head, would you stay with the plan to run a Weber or suck it up and jump to an FI set up? I have the CPU as well.

FI and carbed intake manifolds are completely different. Exhaust manifolds and downpipes interchange as long as you have a place to mount the oxygen sensor.

Carbed head can be converted to FI by grinding the intake ports to match the relief for the injector in the FI manifold.

I'd stick with the Weber myself; less work to get to running.

Back