which insurance for our cars.

dburdick

doug b
Now, I'm not asking for a name, but rather what kind of insurance is best for our cars? Frankly, by the time I'm done restoring my 79 X, I'll have enough man hours in it to have built a space shuttle from scratch. I want to insure it at a resonable cost, but I want replacement value if it gets totaled. I've asked about classic car insurance, but they seem to put a lot of restrictions on the use of the car, and I want to be able to drive it whenever I want. Any ideas?

Yup, same question I asked not too recently. It is Hagerty or Grundy, ask for quotes, you will be pleased. I went with Hagerty on my Alfa Romeo 75, and saved well around 60% compared to what State Farm was charging me for inferior coverage.

Also looked at GEICO and Progressive, both looked really good, high consumer report rankings and great customer service. Went with GEICO, and saved 40% on my insurance rates, again with better coverage.

Anyway, when my Fiat is sorted, it gets insured by Hagerty (though I'll run a quote thru Grundy for good measure).

As far as State Farm goes... they were "ok", often depended on the franchise owner. The rates though, ridiculous...

Hagerty Insurance

I currently have Hagerty Insurance for my 74 X1/9 and 87 X1/9. I submitted multiple pictures of the cars and was assessed a fair market value. The other option is to show receipts which might be higher than the fair market value of the car. You can expect to pay 2 to 3 times more for insurance if you were to use the car as a daily driver. I was paying $650 when I first purchased the 87 X1/9 and had it insured through Amica Insurance without restrictions. Not all insurance companies will insure the car for collector/classic car status. Vehicle registration is another issue and may vary by state.

To qualify for collector car insurance:
1) The car must be garaged.
2) Driven on weekends and to car shows.
3) Not driven more than 3,000 miles per year.
4) Automobile must qualify as a collector car(not sure what makes it a collector car. Rare or exotic maybe?).

Lou

Last edited:
Back