Why is my lid loose?

///Mike

'76 & '85
The front trunk lid on my '85 has a lot of play in it when latched. The latch seems to be working correctly and is adjusted as low as possible within the existing holes. The edges line up well with the surrounding bodywork and the rubber gasket is in fine shape. I tried raising the rubber bumpers but all that did was cause the "ears" on the outside rear of the lid to be above the fender and cowl.

About the only thing I can see to do that would tighten the lid without raising it above the surrounding bodywork would be to further slot the adjustment holes for the latch or fit a thicker gasket. Were there different thicknesses of gaskets, like there were different top seals?

Anybody ever run across this before? Any ideas on a proper solution?

TIA,

///Mike

The gasket may look good, but it may be crushed. See if it has more sponginess from the top or the sides. If it seems more spongy from the sides then it may need replaced.

Another quick fix: pull on the gasket a little all the way around to raise it toward the lid, it will settle back down as needed.

Hmmmm...

Another quick fix: pull on the gasket a little all the way around to raise it toward the lid, it will settle back down as needed.

But won't it eventually vibrate back down to the point where the lid is loose again?

Thanks,

///Mike

It may ///Mike

At that point, assuming raising the seal had solved your hood shake, you would know that a new seal would be in order. Just a thought.

Ahhhh...

At that point, assuming raising the seal had solved your hood shake, you would know that a new seal would be in order. Just a thought.

Not necessarily. There could be something else causing the lid to be loose. Raising the gasket would tighten the gap but would it actually mean that a new gasket would fix the problem?

Guess I need to carefully examine the gasket next time I look at the car. I'm trying to think of a way to permanently raise the existing gasket. That would probably solve the problem-- I'm just not certain that another gasket would be any different than mine.

Can you even still get new gaskets? Guess Henk probably has them, huh?

Thanks,

///Mike

Back