Will the Bold Ideas never end?

I didn't read it but I'm guessing it's right out of the Art Laffer Supply Side play book. Both "sides" keep recycling all the old solutions for dealing with the economy. I'm guessing that they have no idea that this time is different and even the old "solutions" that may have worked in the past aren't going to have the effect they used to.

Yep, out to sea...

with a broken compass on a rudderless ship.

I all honesty. is there anything like a short term solution to the employment problem? I have not run across a credible one yet? have you?:hmm::hmm::hmm:

I watched some youtube thing with Laffer a while back and he got all flustered that people had mistaken his basic premise-he certainly does think that that there is a point where taxation becomes self-undermining but it depends on a lot of factors. But he nearly ranted about how you can't just increase tax revenue through economic growth by reducing taxes no matter the starting point. If the rate is 70% and you cut it in half you get some big boost; if the rate is 28% and you go to 25%, well, he couldn't make a case for that distinguishable from mere chance.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Speaking of YouTube and Laffer

This one is my favorite.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNEeLBm1tM&feature=player_detailpage"]Peter Shiff calling Stock Market Collapse - YouTube[/ame]

And no I don't think there are short term solutions to unemployment. I suppose we could institute the draft and send a bunch of people overseas to fight a big nasty war or something.

How big? How nasty?

Matt, I just caught this quote from Romney:

“Well, the plan that I put together we’ve gone through and analyzed what impact it’ll have and it’s 59 different action steps. It’s not just one or two silver bullets, it’s 59 steps.”

Is it just me, or is this awfully funny?

Last edited:
How big and how nasty?
I don't know, maybe we could get Germany to invade France or something. How long do you you think it would take to liberate France? I'm sure Paul Krugman could come up with a plan for taking as long as possible for maximum economic stimulus effect. Maybe he could win the Nobel economic and peace prizes at the same time.

Yeah, that sounds like Romney. Too bad he doesn't know he has zero chance at the nomination.

Well, he'd have to get the nomination first and as I said, zero chance. And also zero chance he would pick her in the unlikely event he over came the zero chance he has and got the nomination.

Hard to say how it could all be....

negotiated .

But, yeah, I think he is toast now with Perry in the mix and Perry needs Palin like a fifth wheel. Amazing that it could come to nominating someone as a mediocre as Perry, but I'm not seeing anybody else that could jump in and look radically better(Chris Christie looks more like a candidate for an early coronary:shock:). Perry is probably the most electable as things sit today but also the dumbest of the bunch-gawd, I hope that isn't a causal relationship:help: Bet Dr. Paul wins the debate again tonight!!! He has it in for Perry-did you see the TV ads he is running about Perry being Gore's brown nose in 1988?
Paul is the only one running that I have made peace with in my head. I think he is just plain coo-coo on some things and just plain wrong on others and just too originalist on the Constitution, but he gets huge points for clarity, consistency and very likely, best overall outcomes if they let him have his way. If nothing else it would shake the tree. He's a nut but an interesting nut. I would trust him to do what he says even if abhoring what he is doing. Maybe that is because I know the damage would be to ourselves and not to some foreigners who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like Ali "...those folks in Vietnam haven't done anything to me..."

Hey, no problem

nothing comes close to approaching the sheer boldness, no... genius! of a "plan" like a $300,000,000,000 spend on that thing-the-Democrats-have learned-not-to-call-STIMULUS.

Tonight may be the best debate night for Ron Paul... as long as he keeps talking about the genius of the free market, he isn't sounding like the lunatic he resembles as he speaks about foreign policy.

There is the beauty of the Doctor...

everyone agrees he is a lunatic but never on the same grounds.:hmm:
No such thing as a 'free market', so maybe lunacy on that subject is justified. On the other hand there is foreign policy and a lot of people like his.

Hey

they used some music from the score of the movie "Cruel Intentions" for the Reagan "tribute" segment at the debate tonight.

Stay classy, MSNBC!

Tonight may be the best debate night for Ron Paul... as long as he keeps talking about the genius of the free market, he isn't sounding like the lunatic he resembles as he speaks about foreign policy.

Yeah, that "mind your own business" approach to foreign policy is just wack-a-doodle, ain' it?

MUUUUUUUUUCH more rational to get hundreds of thousands of people killed and spend over a trillion dollars to invade two countries that had nothing to do with the stated "reasons" for invading them.:pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly:

Hey, Dan

does Ron Paul think the U.S. has a need to maintain military bases anywhere outside of U.S. territory? What's his policy on that?

Dan, I hesitate to correct you....

but the latest estimates including interest payments, veteran services and contract buyouts has been put at no less than $3T and likely $4T.
So there goes your argument up in a puff of smoke- sorry :wink2::wink2::laugh::laugh:
You realize also that all the 137,000 civilian dead (the most conservative estimate) were either terrorists in hiding or potential terrorists or terrorist sympathisers or terrorist's grocers or terrorist's barbers or burka makers, or terrorist's children, who are, as you know, just terrorists in waiting.:help:

During last night's debate...

Ron Paul somehow managed to declare himself against the use of air-conditioning in the Near East. There's a reason most of us don’t pay much attention to him. :laugh:

Back