Will the electronic distributor from an S2 Monty swap with the electronic distributor from a Spider 2000?

MikeHynes

True Classic
Looking at the parts available from the MH for an S2 Monty distributor, it looks like at least the internal parts are the same. So, would the electronic distributor from a Spider 2000 (2ltr DOHC) swap onto an S1 Scorpion (1.8ltr DOHC)?

Or we talking Bosch or Marelli? End drive or side drive? Intake or exhaust driven?
The only way you can REALLY tell is to match the dizzy #s on their housings.
You can e-mail Linda @ TMH. She’s a knowledgeable person. Just a thought.

S2 Monty distributor, it looks like at least the internal parts are the same.
Yes, both use the same AEI200A coil pack. The S2 dizzy is a Marelli SM801BX with no vacuum advance, inlet drive, clockwise:
1698929631481.png

Looks like the Spider uses an 877AX which has a vacuum unit and is exhaust driven, so guessing the drive gear is going the other direction? Pretty sure I've seen you can swap the gears over with a bit of hammering on the pin, but I suspect the reluctor piece is also back to front as I seem to recall the lobes are asymmetrical to get the correct pickup waveform? Do you have a picture of a spider unit?

Here's a pic of a new dist. that AR sells.
2779__75805.jpg

I don't know what the part# is, but I'm not really worried about it, I think I can deal with the differences (vac advance, and 22' mechanical advance), IF it fits.
Comparing the pic above, to the pic of the AR dist, it does indeed look like the gears are different. But, I think it's possible to swap gears, if you drive the pin out from the correct side.
What I would like to do is replace the original points style dist that came on the Scorpion, with an easy drop in replacement dist, that I currently have on the shelf (used). And yes, I have the module that the electronic dist uses too. The points type dist works fine, so I am reluctant to remove it only to find that I don't have an easy replacement on hand. (although the AR NEW part is priced right). The pic above makes me believe that the side of the cam mounted dist are both pretty close to the same - except for the gears.
Has anyone else attempted the swap? Or, maybe I should be looking for an S2 dist?

an easy drop in replacement dist
I guess it depends on your definition of easy :) an S2 swap would be great, but rare. If you can find another scorpion dizzy and swap the gear from that onto the Spider one, then it should be good to go without destroying your working unit. You may need a replacement roll pin as the original marelli one could be the rivet type like in the s2 pic. I had thought that the possible asymmetric reluctor lobes would be an issue, but even the Spider dizzy is CW, so it's no problem 🤦‍♂️

Mike - Just swap the cam drive gear and you’re good to go. Or drop a Pertronix in the stock points distributor.
FWIW, your orange Scorpion has a Spider distributor with the Scorpion gear.

Back