Wiper blades!

RJ80

True Classic
The wiper blades on my Scorpion look like they're original to the car -- they may well be since it came from Southern California!

I recently ordered a new set of 16" Trico wiper blades, but the "bayonet" style fitting on these blades is for a 7mm wide arm. My wiper arms appear to be 8.3mm wide.
Short of drilling out the rivets on the old blades and trying to reuse their bayonet fitting (not sure that's going to be compatible with the new blades) what options have you all gone with? It seems that modern blades are all the 7mm arm size.

I don't anticipate this car going out in the rain often, but given my PNW location rain is always a possibility, even when it's not expected. Plus, I'm worried I'll hit the wiper switch accidentally and scratch the windshield with these old, worn out blades.

Is this what your blades look like (crappy photo)? If so, I replace the rubber, as those are NLA original blades. I have a spare set of arms that were filed down to fit the smaller 7mm blades.

F4438DBF-9F3D-43FD-8A5B-73C8232E083F.jpeg
The wiper blades on my Scorpion look like they're original to the car -- they may well be since it came from Southern California!

I recently ordered a new set of 16" Trico wiper blades, but the "bayonet" style fitting on these blades is for a 7mm wide arm. My wiper arms appear to be 8.3mm wide.
Short of drilling out the rivets on the old blades and trying to reuse their bayonet fitting (not sure that's going to be compatible with the new blades) what options have you all gone with? It seems that modern blades are all the 7mm arm size.

I don't anticipate this car going out in the rain often, but given my PNW location rain is always a possibility, even when it's not expected. Plus, I'm worried I'll hit the wiper switch accidentally and scratch the windshield with these old, worn out blades.

I think that's the style blade I have on the car, take a look at the photos below if you don't mind. Where would I find new rubber?
IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4533.JPG
IMG_9317.JPG

You can find them many places, including Amazon.com. Search for "wiper blade inserts". Measure the width of the ones you have, common widths are 6 mm and 8 mm. Keep the stainless steel stiffeners that slide into grooves in the insert; some vendors include new ones with the inserts, most don't. Look carefully at the photos of what you are buying. Some cheap inserts are just plain extrusions with nothing to retain the insert in the frame. You want inserts with molded ends (some sellers refer to this as "locks") that retain the steel stiffeners in the insert and retain the insert in the frame.
DSCN2549.JPG

I have in the past bought a similar size Bosch wiper of the older style, taken it apart and used the rubber and the stainless inserts in the old wiper bodies. I have what I presume are the original wipers on my 850 with much more modern inserts.

Midwest Bayless has them listed? Is 15" not correct for the Scorpion?

Scorpion takes 16 inch blades. That's a whole blade assembly that requires drilling out the rivet on the old blades, it appears. I have a whole assembly like that in 16", just trying to find something that is a direct fit.

Well, after reading through everyone’s replies so far, I’m thinking it may be easiest to just reduce the wiper arm widths to 7mm so they fit modern blade designs. Would require taking just over a half millimeter off each side of each 8.3mm arm, I suppose. New inserts are tempting, but I fear a similar try/return process several times over if I’m not lucky.

Back