Wiring Harness - Is there much demand?

SergeStorms

Daily Driver
I'm in the process of gutting my recently purchased '80 X and in doing so am taking the time to remove the harness all in one piece with the thought that someone will want to buy it from me. Though I'm about 80% done with extracting it my patience is wearing thin and I'm beginning to wonder if all this extra time is going to be worth it. To answer a question that may be asked....no, I plan on rewiring it with a Painless kit or the like. Thanks for any input.

Yes and No. THere is no demand for a used harness unless it has been boxed up, Sent to Bob Brown for a Bench Test/Overhaul and then it might be worth something.... But by then you have spent twice more on it that it is worth. But in the end everything will work when you install it in your car...

Best is to find a later one and install it in an older car. but even that has some challenges... Here is how I know.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFteIxqGP3g&list=UUthfX6nMKZo_5z5SVqN83bg&index=19"]Garage Cam - YouTube[/ame]

A good harness is extremely rare

And the best ones are late model harnesses, primarily because they use the ATC blade fuse.
Getting a good harness is half the battle though. Getting a good good fuse box to go with it can also be a challenge.

It takes a LOT of patience to get a complete harness out of a car.

I have a spare harness here that I am (eventually) going to set up on a pegboard so I can easily simulate electrical mods and (someday) help all you folks trace stuff on the later models. :)

Last edited:
Serge... unless it has the Blade Fuses...

I'd say NO also.

For your benefit if you are going relatively all stock on the car, a good used LATE model harness might serve you well and be cheaper and easier than a Painless loom.

If you plan on a lot of mods or a different engine, then a universal Painless loom might be your best choice. I am unaware if Painless makes a direct replacement for an X1/9 though. Do let us know what ya find if and when you contact them... and your decision as well.

Back