Wood working Bench planes Question

jjay911

True Classic
Who here is an avid wood plane user? I ask this because I just scored some really nice vintage ones and Want to know if someone here would value having them? I am not sure if they are the type to collect or use as they belonged to my late Great Grandfather. All I know is that they are Millers Falls planes and they one of them is in really nice shape. I am guessing 20s to 40s but not sure on years....The one in the top of the last picture I am not sure what to call that one it looks even older. Any help appreciated. I always thought of this group of folks to be the sharpest.... thanks. Jeff

Me hopes Papa Tony had his Wheaties this morning....

IMG_2905_zpsef58a133.jpg

IMG_2904_zpsdebb602e.jpg

IMG_2903_zps7d4aa86c.jpg

IMG_2902_zpsaf790f73.jpg

IMG_2901_zpsfcc5046b.jpg

IMG_2900_zps5834a0ca.jpg

IMG_2887_zps9d4d3a69.jpg

In general, many of the early Millers Falls planes were knock-offs of Stanley tools, but their sizing & blade angles varied slightly. This may be why your GGF had both types, in order to make/get different results depending on the need (my grandfather had a rather extensive mix of similar hand tools, where an oddball/other-brand tool would be used to "fill the gap" in-between the selection of standard-type tools when needed).

With the rosewood handle & knob with slot-head screws on your MF plane, it appears to me to be either a later Type 2 variant of the 1936-41 production, or an early Type 2 from the post-war 1949-55 second production (I say this due to the fitting of a steel knurled adjustment knob rather than a brass knob). Like this:

betype2.jpg

You might be able to better verify which of the two productions it came from by looking at the little inverted triangle on the cutter stamp. If it says "Since 1868", it's definitely from the first production. If it just says the date "1868", it could be from either production run. If it says nether one of these, it's from the post-war run (though unlikely to have this due to having that steel knob, if original).

The model number(s) & the brand name should be stamped into the left face along the lower edge, below the "camel hump" section of the side brace (see photo above, you can barely see the stamping on it). If you can find it, you can look up the model & relative value here on the OTH site:

http://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/benchtable.htm
http://oldtoolheaven.com/price/price.htm

If you have more MF bench planes that you need to identify, here's a good run-down of the years & variations:

http://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/benchtypes.htm

You guys are amazing. It always surprises me how good you guys are at identifying things.. Here are some more brain teasers...

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_2926_zpsf13a47e6.jpg

IMG_2921_zps8af00bc3.jpg

Glory glory

A Pratt & Whitney tap and die set! My uncle Zebediah would have died and gone to heaven (if the runaway No.7 omnibus to Hollins hadn't got there first).
I bet Xacto wouldn't have a set like that.
Beautiful. Really beautiful. :excited:

I WOULD TAKE THE DRILL AND DIE SET FOR THE OPENING BIDS IF THEY DONT SELL JUST BECAUSE THEY LOOK COOL. wONT EVER USE THEM THOUGH. ssssorry damn cap locks was on.

I WOULD TAKE THE DRILL AND DIE SET FOR THE OPENING BIDS IF THEY DONT SELL JUST BECAUSE THEY LOOK COOL. wONT EVER USE THEM THOUGH. ssssorry damn cap locks was on.

Not only cool but I think very useful. Seems a lot of interest in the older stuff has to do with the metal being better or stronger. You would never guess I have over 50 people watching the Chisels....

Back