working on my X

jrweikle

True Classic
Went today and pumped up the tires on my X and pulled it out of the weeds. cleaned out the dead brush that was in the engine bay. jacked it up and checked the under side and took these pictures.
2a8iann.jpg

i was a little too close on the gas tank

2guk1tw.jpg

2hmir15.jpg

looks like it had a slight oil leak when it was running

2a3y2p.jpg

21jbxxu.jpg

I put a battery in her and the head lights came up (they would not go back down but I did not check in on it yet)
29vmjxz.jpg

the front two tires would not hold air actually passenger side blew out while I was standing there oh well gonna need tires any how
I slipped the used Carb on that EricH gave me yesterday (thanks Eric)
gave it a shot of starter fluid and guess what it ran (only ran it for a minute or so) I was so pleased to hear the sound of the engine

Looks like it needs a shave under there! :rolleyes:

Why was it parked in the weeds? :shock:

Hope you get it running again!

actually they parked it and the weeds grew up around it
I could not reach all the weeds underneath yet but I will

Has it rusted much as a result? Can't really tell from the pics?

When was the last time you had it running?

it has been setting for 10 years
I just bought it (ok making a few payments on it then it will be mine thats why I can't bring it home yet)
There is no rust underneath (tried to get good pics of the suspension points) which I was worried about
there is rust on drivers side door and up front at the nose and on the hood over the headlights but not so bad that I think it will be a problem to fix

I was happy and surprised that it ran on starter fluid considering I had not bolted the carb all the way and half the vacuum lines were still disconnected (i also did not connect the fuel line)

Sounds good!

Hope you get it up & running soon!

I'd be most concerned about the brakes/eBrake, with all that moisture from the weeds around them. Hopefully all is OK.

!!!!!

Change those old radiator hoses first thing! They'll blow just like the tires did. Watch that cam belt too. It's probably ready to let go. Rubber ages with time, even though the mileage hasn't changed. You don't want to hurt the engine before you get to enjoy it.

Fiats are reliable, but they don't tolerate sloppy maintenance. You have to have the same discipline that one would use to fly an airplane. Make it run good before you make it look good.

+1

Change those old radiator hoses first thing! They'll blow just like the tires did. Watch that cam belt too. It's probably ready to let go. Rubber ages with time, even though the mileage hasn't changed. You don't want to hurt the engine before you get to enjoy it.

Fiats are reliable, but they don't tolerate sloppy maintenance. You have to have the same discipline that one would use to fly an airplane. Make it run good before you make it look good.

Second that. Mechanicals first :)

Back