WTB 1500 Head

tigeravg

True Classic
My vintage PBS head was just a tad too vintage it would seem...
Need me a 1500 head...preferably with some goodies.

Current engine is a balanced lower, light flywheel, elect. Ign. with cam-mounted destributor, Old School PBS header, Dual 40's.
I'm running a stock 5 speed ('79) and absolutely rediculous wheels on a flaired body all the way around. Looking for power but more importantly reliability. I really want to put miles on this thing.

Does anyone have the # of the guy selling the SCCA car (yellow) out of Sacramento Ca. He had a bunch of goodies.

Thanks for any help.

wheels

what size wheels are you using, and what size tires? I have 13x9.5 on the rear and 13x9 in front and trying, to no avail to find tires 235 50 13 It sounds as you are not in the states, so do you access to huge tires? I will search what I have and let you if I have a 1500 head.
mikemo90aol.com

I have a few 1500 heads, do you need a 14 or 10 bolt head?
Price is £125 including shipping assuming your in the USA .

Obert has a Fiat 39.5?mm big valves, if 10 bolt head is what you want the 79-80 carb head is a good one to start with.

Wheels

Dallara Kit.
205/50 13, 8.5"
235/50/13, 10"

My rears are out of production BFGs'. You can still find them on fleabay every now and then. Somebody said they had Falcon 235/50 13's someplace.

X 1/9 racer in Sacramento

The yellow X racer in Sacramento.
call John 916 454 1115
He has lots of parts.
Billet race cams
New isky valve springs
1500 heads,
reground 1500 cranks
crank fire ignition sets
Howard ignition sets per the PBS race prep book
blueprinted 1300 engine
two 1.3 X transaxles
1974 front grille
1975-8 front grill
undersize crank pulleys
1974 chocolate brown driver side door
two cleaned and prepped 1500 engine cores (disassembled)

piles of parts, etc.
See the yellow X run at Thunderhill track day on Friday June 21...

You really want to start with a euro spec head, that way you don't have to skim the life out of it to remove the full circular recess.

Inlet valve from a later model sohc are 39.5mm head size, right stem and groove... so repalce those nissan valves that PBS used. I stock the valves , PM for a price. I stock TRW. valve components

37.5mm valves are also available, depending on application these can work very well, bigger isn't always better.

Any good machine shop will be able to machine and fit the required oversize seats, specify seats that are compatible with LPG (if your willing to pay) as thay are much higher quality and far more durable than the sintered iron seats they might try and sell you.

As for porting to suit... have a search and a read of some threads on here and that should give you some of the basic ideas. Keep the port small and tight and keep the port air speed up, works best for the street. Start at the valve bowl and work towards the manifold face, most first time porters start from the wrong end and enlarge the port to the gasket size (or bigger) and then work inwards. The bowl and the long side radius are where most flow improvements are found. The job is easier if you have the guides pushed out first, then have the new guides fitted after your happy with the port shape, Cut back the inlet guide flush or at least taper it down where it protudes into the port.

Always replace the guides as this is the ONLY way you can guarantee a truly concentric seat cut. Use AlSi Bronze guides, they are much harder and more durable than the cast guides used as stock. After fitment have the guides honed to inside size. Find a machine shop with a SERDI seat install/cutting machine, these are the ducks nuts for this job, anything else (well apart from maybe a MIRA) is a compromise... don't expect the work to be cheap, you'll usually get what you pay for.

SteveC

Back