WTB: Front Hood

socalx19

True Classic
Something in good condition where someone hasn't bent the top left corner due to forgetting about that pesky lever inside. 1985 model year. Preferably in SF Bay where I can pick up to avoid shipping costs...Thanks.

Last edited:
I may have on of the housings, actually I have one of the lights but it's the housings that's busted

Well...

I have a housing, designed for the on/off switch style of early and also Betas but put a Bertone X lens in it and you're good to go. Also have a couple of cracked but mended lenses if you're interested. Sometimes something's better than nothing.

Thank you both

I just spent an hour going through a secret stash of spares and found 2! One has a cracked lens, but can deal with it. Have no recollection of hiding these away but glad I did.

I have a free spare hood Rudy but its at you know whos house in the Desert.... He said he can install it on his car and bring it down to me sometime in the next couple of weeks....

Housing

Darn! I was going to say that I had a couple of them if you wanted to drop over and get them.

Allen

Dent Pros can help

Rudy,

I hired a Dent Pro (although he's not with Dent Pro) guy - Troy Treese - to work on my '86 X that came (with among other problems) a bent hood. Troy owns a business called "South Valley Dents" and (at least in the past) would come to you.

As part of a Fiat America "Dent Be Gone" tech session a few years ago, I asked him to see what he could do with the hood on my '86 X. Basically, I told him he couldn't ruin it since it was already ruined. I didn't think he'd be able to fix it but lo and behold, he made it look as good as new - it easily became the best looking part on that car. The price was very reasonable (I think it was less than $80). The only catch is the paint has to be shiny (although having seen your car, I don't think that's something you have to worry about!).

Troy is in the South Bay but usually travels around the Bay Area too. His number is (408) 515-2289. If you call him, tell him I recommended him.

If you can wait, Fiat America might be holding another Dent Be Gone Tech session, where we have Troy come to someone's house to work on cars over the course of several hours. That typically saves everyone a little since Troy only has to setup once. But that probably won't be for a month or two down the road.

Larry
'79 X1/9
'86 X1/9

I think rudys hood is beyond dentpro or even professional help. It needs replacement because the crease is too big...

Larry, Thank you.

I also just got an email from Andreas with the Dent Pro mention. JJ was right though, I also believe the hood is beyond Dent Pro repair as it appeared to be nearly folded over, then folded back, leaving it raised a bit. Well, the donor hood from the other Larry's (the handsome Larry) car will work just fine.

Can't wait to meet up with you all!

You're welcome Rudy

Ouch... it does sound like your hood might be beyond help, although I also think Troy enjoys a nice challenge. At the time of my hood repair, he didn't want to try at first since he didn't think he'd be able to fix it.

I'm sure you've posted this before but where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in Santa Clara, my name sake is in Pleasanton and there are several other X-heads around (as well as Fiat or i-car fans).

Larry

Back