WTB...good running weber 32 datra carb

Dean_Fuller

Daily Driver
Would like it ready to bolt on. I am in Mississippi 39705. Paypal is fine.

Thanks, Dean

my email is
deanfuller1960*gmail.com
I rarely remember to come to the forum on a regular bases.

Congrats Dean

I bet it feels good to get it running well again. :thumbsup:

Yes it does ! Added the BBrown headlight mod last night and I can see too.

Now to fix a power drain from the alternator ( puts out fine at 13.5v) to the battery ( only about 12.3v ) and this bad boy will be my DD this winter. Motorcycles in the warmer weather.

Try adding a wire from alt to starter

Dean,

On my 78 I added a 10ga wire from the alt output lug to the big lug on the starter. This is the same path as the stock harness takes to send power to the battery. The stock wire looked old and crusty, so I added this second path of fresh wire. I ran it from the alt around the pass side of the engine bay utilizing the existing wiring clips along the route. I saw an increase at the battery and the dash gauge.

You can see the red wire at the far right in this picture, snaking around the pass side. Up from the alt, around the side and down to the starter. :)
enginebay2.jpg

It wasnt pretty, but it worked

Thanks Paul. I probably read about it somewhere on Xweb 1.0, but I can't remember. I am not usually that clever.

I should probably make it a little neater while I am working on the car this winter. And maybe get a green wire that is a little heavier gauge. Or I could do what I normally do and just leave it as is. Because I am lazy. :)

I knew that was some guru level sh1t ;)

Well thanks for the tip many years ago Mike. It did make a difference in the electrical systems behavior.

Jim......So running a 10 ga. wire from alternator to starter will reroute enough voltage to let the gauge read close to normal ? That sounds super simple !!! I will give this a try SOON . THANKS a ton !!

Yes, if your old wiring is corroded

Dean,

If 30+ years of life in the engine bay has left you alt->starter wiring less than optimal with extra resistance, running a fresh wire will improve your power flow back to the battery. If you don't see an improvement by freshening up that wire, then the large green wire from the starter to the battery may need to be cleaned up or replaced.

Also. What does the ground wire on the battery look like? Getting a fresh ground wire for the battery is a good idea too if the existing one looks old and crappy.

Well...I cleaned the battery ground wire and its connections...maybe a new one would be in order. Car is running GREAT with a new carb. Just need to drive it now to work out some of the sitting issues...

Thanks.

Back