WTB Head Torque Tool

Joe F

Hi Miles, Lo Maintenance
If anyone has a tool lying around, I'm willing to put some cash in your pocket. I have a 10-bolt/nut 1300 block with 19mm nuts on manifold side. Fiat tool # A50131

Thanks

You need two tools one for the center bolts and nuts and one for the for the corner nuts.

I can loan you a set if you can't find any.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

I'm curious as to why there are two tools.

Is it because of the engine layout and obstructions? Or something else?

tool

Hey joe, I think I have the tool your looking for, I can bring it over sometime, I am in melrose. I am on vacation now but when I get home will check if it is 19 mm or 17

The second tool is cranked considerably more, and it is to clear the engine stay bar and bracket... or you can simply remove the stay bar / bracket, re torque the head, and then re install it...or just do that end nut/bolt in many small stages and reposition the tool each 1/8th of a turn.

Some tools clash with the carburettor too, as they were designed to be used on a 128 sedan with a single barrel carb... the two barrel carb sits quite a bit closer to the region in question... but most available tools these days do both applications...if you have an early design, you just remove the carb (but leave the manifolds in place)

SteveC

That's actually the tool to do the end nut, and get around the engine stay bar and bracket... it will foul against the carburettor.

The selection of factory tools I have is in the pic below... from L to R

19mm large crank (like the one you have shown)
17mm large crank

19mm early type (to suit a 128 with a single barrel carb)
19mm late type (to suit 128 coupe / x19 with a two barrel carb) note the difference in angle that the tool comes away from the fastener at compared to the previous.
17mm late type (to fit easily around the EFI manifolding)

then there is another set (to suit the 15mm bolt heads) found on very late engines like the Uno Turbo and Tipo engines... I still need to find myself a set of those, the 15mm head bolts are very easy to find and have an integral washer under the head.

Of course the large crank tool will work if the carburettor/manifold is removed...

SteveC

Remove Carb?

If I remove the carb, can I get away with using the first tool on the left for all outboard 19mm nuts?

Joe,

Hmmm, it's been 30 plus years that I've had the right tools...so I'm really not 100% sure if you can get away with JUST removing the carb...it may clash on nuts 2 and 4 (looking from the cam drive end) with the manifold...certainly wont hurt to try it for size and you'll know soon enough.

Bob,

As an apprentice I bought the right tools (19mm) myself to work on my own cars, as my Dad wouldn't even lend the tools he owns to me... he simply pointed at the sign that says ' We DON'T lend tools, so don't ask" on the wall in the workshop ... damn things cost me almost a weeks wages back then. The others I bought along the way. Keep an eye on ebay... the 17mm FI style tool bought off ebay UK for around 10 pounds, brand new in Fiat packaging.

SteveC

Steve, I appreciate where your Dad's

thoughts are with regards to lending tools.

Sometimes, you "might" get them back broken or rusted. :huh2:
Sometimes, you get them back after they've been used as a pry bar or hammer. :hammer:
Sometimes, you might even get them, back! :mad3:

But usually, they're gone when you need them.
I have a mostly complete set of tools here, but not the curved set. Most (all actually) of my engine disassemblies have taken place out of the car, so access was never an issue.

Thanks for the hints. I'm looking for a set now...

Looking for one of these for ages, eBay uk automated search never sends me a email match

Had a quick look manually and found this Italian stuff in California.

I wonder if they fit, the ring section looks a bit thin ???? Perhaps one of locals would try it out, Wouldn't that be a nice coincidence if it does. Sadly no 17mm that I need

This one looks like it might be a goer WRT the ARP thread you were thinking about SteveC, 16mm is that what you were after?

16mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-BE...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e4f5bd20

BTW I learnt the hard way and don't loan tools out anymore, only under supervision will I let anyone use them. Request must come with case of beer before application considered.

Inch to metric interchangeable sizes and industry standard tolerances for wrench opening sizes.

19mm, 19.06 to 19.36mm
3/4", 19.18 to 19.38mm

16mm, 16.05mm to 16.27mm
5/8", 15.98mm to 16.15mm

14mm, 14.05mm to 14.27mm
9/16", 14.38mm to 14.55mm

Beyond these industry standard wrench opening tolerances, there are bolt and nut size tolerances that are typically smaller than the specified wrench size.

Bernice

That's good information Bernice, I knew there was a tolerance, but wasn't sure what it was. I'm guessing the ARP nuts will be 15.98mm +- 0.02 (or close to it!)

Re the 'Aircraft Spruce' wrenches ... have you used the 19mm (3/4) one for our SOHC application? Did it have adequate clearance with carb(s) and manifold fitted?

As you may have seen in the 'Tech Discussions' forum, I'm trying to build an appropriate ARP 'kit' that can be used on the M10 (10 and 14 bolt versions) and M12 fastener versions of the SOHC ... if the 5/8 sized Lycoming head torque tool will fit the application, then it's a win for everyone... they are under $30 delivered!

The Ducati tool looks to be close enough to do the job as well (with the ARP 16mm wrench nuts) ... but a bit more pricey...tho it is nice and shiney!!

SteveC

Have used the 3/4" and 9/16" cylinder head base nut wrenches on ARP 12 point nuts on the exxe cylinder head. They mostly work on non-stock intake engines. I'll need to test fit the 3/4" on the stock 1300cc to check for clearance. It takes more than just the one torque tool at times due to the various add ons and variations of installation for these Fiat engines.

There are other US made torque adapters by Bonney, Snap-On, Armstrong, Granco and others. Some are not marked as they often made for aerospace, industrial or related specific applications. Search ebay for these specials as they do show up and if they look useable, consider the purchase.

Bernice

Back