WTB: Scorpion/Montecarlo Rear Calipers

Matthew

True Classic
I'll pay $100 each for rebuildable genuine 38mm Scorpion/Montecarlo rear calipers. I need a left and a right.

I could just buy some from the Monte Hospital but the core charge, exchange rate and shipping is going to put it around $400 a pair. I might do that if it's the only option.

Other Applications

The 38mm pistons calipers were also used on rear of Fiat 125s, and possibly others too, so maybe expand your search criteria beyond the Monte Carlo and Scorpion.

Repair shops unfamiliar with those calipers as being different from the more common Fiat 124s and X1/9s were known to simply replace them with generic rebuilt calipers from parts suppliers, since they are interchangeable from an installation standpoint. I once bought a rebuilt rear caliper for a Fiat 124 and received one with a 38mm piston, showing that the cores returned from Scorpions make their way through the same system of parts rebuilding.

I have a rear drivers side with the piston missing.. Make me an offer I dont know what the cores are going for it might not be worth anything....

I have two.

Matthew I have two rears. Not sure if you can save them. How about if I mail them and if you can use them send me what you think is fair. Just pay for shipping. let me know.

Tomorrow I'll verify they are 38mm pistons. The casting says 125 so I assume they are Scorpions. They were on my 77 scorp that I decided to part out.

Thanks,
Ralph

The 38mm pistons calipers were also used on rear of Fiat 125s, and possibly others too, so maybe expand your search criteria beyond the Monte Carlo and Scorpion.

Repair shops unfamiliar with those calipers as being different from the more common Fiat 124s and X1/9s were known to simply replace them with generic rebuilt calipers from parts suppliers, since they are interchangeable from an installation standpoint. I once bought a rebuilt rear caliper for a Fiat 124 and received one with a 38mm piston, showing that the cores returned from Scorpions make their way through the same system of parts rebuilding.

The 38 mm calipers are also used on late Spidereuropas... And that was only because the 124 calipers were out of production.
And the company that bought the USA Fiat parts distribution rights just after Fiat sold out had a European branch overstocked with 125 calipers, so they flooded the market with 38 mm calipers claiming there was no difference.

I stock some new & rebuilt 38 mm calipers still, and have a shelf of cores.
Chris Obert

I ended up getting a rebuilt set from Rock Auto for a very reasonable price. They arrived in three days from the UK. Special thanks to Mike Gold for pointing me to the source.

Yes, they are 38mm. It's sort of that easy. They only had one set left and who knows if they will ever have more.

Back