x gets ten miles a gallon!!!

morepower

hey guys, my x is averaging 10 miles to the gallon as appossed to 30 miles to the gallon. i belive it ties into another problem which involves my electrical systems, in a sense, competing with my engine. when i drive the x at night usually the light are dim and the engine runs ok. but once the light outside the car and in the dash get really bright as if normal, the engine loses power and every time i shift up from a dead stop the car jerks into gear. i really need help with this because its wearing on the motor mounts and who knows what else. so if anyone knows what the problem could be please let me know.

Need some clarification

It sounds like you have a few problems involving a few systems. Before anyone can help a little more information is needed. I see that you joined yesterday so welcome. What year is your car, FI or Carb, 4 or 5 speed, Any Mods?

We love pics too:)

good morning....

rough way to be going for sure! I'm sure others will chime in shortly for you, but please add more car info: 1300/1500, carb/FI, year, etc...

Is this an Injected X?

If so, make sure your electrical system is working properly. This means a good battery that holds a charge, good clean tight connections, and a properly working charging system. If these things are not working properly the F.I. system can also have problems, as it gets most of its information via electrical signals.

A bad battery or bad charging system will result in rich running because the ECU sees the high resistance in the temp sensor circuit which mimics a cold engine. :shock2:

I had this same issue on another vehicle and it was the ECU ground wire. On the X these are located on the cambox.

Mr. L.A.

(Us big city folks require privacy... I'll try and remove my signature below...)

Any X1/9 that gets 10 mpg has a fuel LEAK! If its anything else... like the others said... yur gonna haveta give us a lot more info and probably some fotos. BTW, did it have to meet smog requirements?

Tony maybe it's sporting one of these

up front :laugh:
chevy.jpg

Nahhh this engines good for 15 mpg

even lugging around an 81 Z28. Ask me how I know! :laugh:

Of course, the trip down to 10 mpg is just a few twitches of the right foot away. :shock:

Pete

I have had worse...

14:1 compression motor, Single 36DCNF, cam, blah, blah, blah...

Four 1 minute autocross runs equaled just under 3 gallons of gas (110 of course)

But it was fun!

Eric Armstrong

Love it Greg!

The straight 6 that's in my wifes jeep is only good for about 14mpg... maybe I ought to drop a 350 in it for an increase! My tires aren't as agressive as yours.

Pete

Back