X - might have to go away

m4ff3w

matthew
I bought my X last year when gas got so high, sold a 92 Volvo 740 Turbo wagon to get it.

I figured I only needed 2 seats, since my wife is a stay at home mom, we can always take her car (a 91 Volvo 740 Turbo wagon)

The car was pretty bad when I got it, hadn't run in 4 years. The car is now in pretty good mechanical shape, new tires, new brakes, megasquirt EFI (l-jet died on me, couldn't find replacement), new hydraulics, new front dampers... All in all I have around 1900 in her now (800 purchase price) But she still isn't "pretty" enough to sell well.

But now my wife might get a job, so I'd need something to haul kids around. I think it make sense to keep the X and pick up something else (have my eye on an XR4ti) that I can use to haul the kids (2) around when needed. Both sit just in boosters, so don't have to worry about huge car seats.

My wife, on the other hand, things we should get rid of the X1/9. Not so sure. I know I can't get what I have in it out of the X, probably not much more than the asking price of the XR ($1000 - though can probably get it for $700 or so)

The XR, aside from being a bit more practical is a car I've wanted since I first learned about them in '96, and was the car that created my lust for orphaned and oddball cars. I'm more than certain I will be happy with the XR, but I really love my X1/9.

le sigh.

I had a Xr4ti, they are nice little cars, but they will nickle and dime you to death. You would be better off with a 4 cylinder fox mustang or t-bird turbo coupe. I had a 1984 Ford Mustang Turbo GT and it was a great car, the Xr4ti has a lot of transmission issues, with both the auto and the cheap T9, the Merkur parts are hard to get and there are less and less in the junk yard. Rapido makes really nice parts, but they are 3-5X's more than for a Fox Mustang or Capri RS turbo.

I also love odd cars like you......but

when it comes to transporting my kids i rather have something more reliable in order not to spend to much time tinkering with the "odd" car.If i were you I`ll buy something nice/fun but still easy to get parts for.I live in north FtWorth and scan C/list almost everyday.I found a Nissan Sentra SER(1992 i believe).This car looks all factory and are getting hard to get without already being modified.Its a very sought after car in the JDM world and very,very reliable with a very nice TC engine,brakes and suspension,sport seats,,s/wheel etc.They are asking $1,700 but negotiable and its in your backyard.if not to your liking try the early VW GTI`s.Just a suggestion for your better living and happy wife and kids.Cheap cars and you can still keep your X i guess.Let us know,i can give you many other suggestions if interested......good luck........:italia:

I don't really do FWD, except in extremely rare cases.

I have MS2 & coilpacks ready to go in, that takes care of ignition and fuel problems, so I'm not really scared of the Merkur. I can live w/broken interior bits and trim.

If worse comes to worse, a T5 swap isn't that bad into the X either.

Thats fine,...but please post pics of the Merkur

thats one of my favorite "odd cars" too.Please don`t check ebay Germany and UK for euro goodies,its addictive!!!!:excited:

Hey Matt... its NOT the car ya need to concern yurself with...

Speaking from 42 years of wedded bliss...

Tell her you will get HER the car SHE wants for HER (and YOUR kids to come???) at the fullest price that you can BOTH afford and still EAT and STAY DRY.

In the words of Steve Hoelscher... this wheeled conveyance is better listed in the category of an APPLIANCE... and needs to be looked upon as such by YOU! (Do note now how well she cares for your refrigerator and you'll have some idea how she will care for her car.)

If she is indeed some kind of automotive enthusiast and wants an XRTSI-whatever... she will seek one out with you and care for it herself.

HA... enjoy your time with her... I think you'll enjoy it better if you consider what I've said. It (now) works for me... after years of therapy! HA!

You could always just mount a rumble seat in the front there should be room enough for a single seat, bolt in roll bar, and a 5 point harness, just get some goggles, and bang problem solved. You have your Italian sports car, and seating for three.

Back