x1/9 500 Abarth Transmission

TonyK

True Classic
I did a swap for Bob Martin in Radcliff Kentucky. Bob has been complaining about an oil leak on the left side half shaft seal on his car. For comparison I thought I would look at and X1/9 gear box seal and the 500 Abarth seal. Looks like they are the same. Same flange, same seal, the same. Currently I am working on another swap for Mike Schofield and he wanted a limited slip differential. We had to break the case and change it. The Abarth transmission uses the same type of reverse idler and 1st-2nd sleeve. It appears that this car with 40,000 miles someone was doing some fast down shifts and both the sleeve gear and idler showed signs of a lot of wear. There is a chance that a lot of this transmission shares the same parts with the X1/9. Possibly someone will dive into a bit deeper.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG

Interesting. I want an LSD too, I hear an RSX diff will fit into a 5 speed x box.
The Abarth 500 trans should be stronger?

Interesting. I want an LSD too, I hear an RSX diff will fit into a 5 speed x box.
The Abarth 500 trans should be stronger?

The case is certainly stronger but remember it is a cable shifted transmission from a front wheel drive car. Clocking of the shifter mech on the transmission was needed along with a modified shifter from a Honda Accord for it to work. The cables are kept short and the modification/clocking allows the shift cable to work from the firewall side rather than have long cables swoop around the engine to the transmission.

There are some people on the form that could dive into this and possibly come up with a solution to the weaker X1/9 5 speed gear box. Just to let you know the splines on the Abarth transmission out put shafts are the same as the X1/9 and in my swaps I use the X1/9 half shafts. The right side shaft is shortened by 5/8", the left a 3/16" spacer is used because the shaft is a bit short.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I'm guessing the part numbers for those common parts (X1/9 and 500) are different, despite being interchangeable?

That's why I was asking about actual part numbers for parts that happen to be common between the 500 and X boxes. While the part may fit both, they might have different part numbers due to the old vs new series of trans design. My thought is we might find new parts (with new, different part numbers) to replace worn components in the X trans, that were otherwise NLA (under the old part number).

Back