X1/9 on Bring a Trailer.com

Did you see the one comment on there? Pasting below... I call BS. :D

---

True story about Christine’s Italian cousin, a red X1/9…

My best friend in high school was killed in a ‘75 X1/9, when a gal in a new ‘77 Plymouth Fury fell asleep at the wheel and crossed into hes lane, using his Fiat as a takeoff ramp. My friend was killed instantly.

Fast forward two years…I’m working at a Fiat dealership. A car comes in on a rollback. My friend’s car. It was going to be a donor car for three others in the shop – engine, transaxle, and back half.

The mechanic disassembling the rear crushed his feet when the car came off the support stands. The car that got the transaxle caught fire and burned to the ground three days after it left the dealer. The car that got the engine got totaled the day after the customer got it back. The car that got the back half also got wrecked a week after it was done…and the scrap truck that came for what was left, crashed into the building next door after he picked the parts up. I got nowhere near the car the whole time it was in the shop.

I don’t like X1/9s. They really are nice cars, but I won’t go within a mile of one.

Cesare, Ryan... Don't we all know better...

Looky here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160496278602&viewitem=

This car has been bid up to almost $10K so far!

Apparently 3 people know better and are willing to put their money where their mouth is!

No comments are gonna convince these jerks otherwise...

Maybe we should offer up some old VW and Harley stories as well! This one you posted wreaks more of a HAUNTING than anything else!

HA!

And just in time for Halloween!

OK Larry... Was that meant for ME, or for the GROUP...

If for me... You win... as I'd almost take the FIAT RED over the Medium Metallic BLUE! But I'm not paying 10 grand for your car or any other X1/9... except maybe George's Martini Racer!

But for me... if its RED, its gotta be ARREST-ME-RED... not TOMATO RED!

HA!

I had a far different experience,

Working at the Fiat dealership with an X in a horrible crash. We sold a gold '81 X and it came back in on the back of a rollback a week later on the way to the junk yard. It seems the owner wanted us to see how well it held up and SAVED HIS SON'S LIFE during a crash. His 16 year old son "borrowed" the X and went blasting down some country roads until he ended up hitting (literally hitting) a T intersection at over 60mph. On the other side of the T intersection, he impacted a low guardrail which was there to keep you from going down a 20 foot drop into a wooded area and a residence's back yard. The guard rail didn't stop him (there were no braking tire marks, so he hit the guardrail at a solid 60mph), went flying over it, ripping out, in order, front suspension, rear suspension, trans/engine, rear part of body behind engine, flew through the trees, did a couple of end over end flips (losing the targa top along the way), and finally came to rest about 50 feet after the guardrail in the back deck and rear doors of the house. The Dad wanted us to see the destroyed X (the individual pieces were all on the tow truck) because his son came away with a broken arm and alot of bruises. Sorry, but if the kid from the story above was kiled by a 77 Plymouth Fury, he would've been killed if he was in a tank.

Dave

Hey, Tony

Would that be Roma tomato red or regular garden variety tomato red?!:happy:

Yeah, X1/9s are stronger than people think.

I've totaled 2 and my friend totaled 2 as well. My first wreck involved getting sandwiched between two vans ... the one in front of me was totaled as well. In the second wreck, I rear ended a mid '70s Chevy Caprice Classic at around 70mph and totaled both my X and the Chevy. I wasn't injured aside from some bruises in either accident ... and neither was my fault.

My friend was hit head on by a Ford F150 driven by a drunk off duty cop who jumped the median. Estimates were that the pickup was doing around 50mph and my friend around 35mph. Again, just bruises although the targa top flew off as soon as they hit and was never to be seen again.

They're pretty safe little cars.

Friend could have been killed in any motor vehicle. This is the hard reality of driving.

There are many accounts of serious crashes involving exxe's and the majority of occupants survived and did OK. Facts are, the exxe is one of the safest cars of this size and is proven to be very survivable in high energy crashes. The chassis was designed this way as one of the primary design goals.

Might want to think about separating the emotional trauma (losing anyone dear to one's life is NEVER easy, and an event that is NEVER forgotten) of losing a friend from the reality of what happened and how the exxe is designed.

Bernice

True story about Christine’s Italian cousin, a red X1/9…

My best friend in high school was killed in a ‘75 X1/9, when a gal in a new ‘77 Plymouth Fury fell asleep at the wheel and crossed into hes lane, using his Fiat as a takeoff ramp. My friend was killed instantly.

Fast forward two years…I’m working at a Fiat dealership. A car comes in on a rollback. My friend’s car. It was going to be a donor car for three others in the shop – engine, transaxle, and back half.

The mechanic disassembling the rear crushed his feet when the car came off the support stands. The car that got the transaxle caught fire and burned to the ground three days after it left the dealer. The car that got the engine got totaled the day after the customer got it back. The car that got the back half also got wrecked a week after it was done…and the scrap truck that came for what was left, crashed into the building next door after he picked the parts up. I got nowhere near the car the whole time it was in the shop.

I don’t like X1/9s. They really are nice cars, but I won’t go within a mile of one.

Back