X1/9s welcome to FIAT on the Dragon

BrettM

1981 RHD X1/9
Fiat%20on%20the%20dragon%20weekend%20013.jpg

FOD-logo-14.jpg

The spring event registration is up, make plans to attend.

2015 Spring FIAT on the Dragon:
Due to the higher numbers expected for the spring 2015 drive, changes are being made to help reduce the traffic and navigation issues that might arise from having 100+ cars trying to stay together. This year, cars will be segregated into one of two groups, spirited and touring. The spirited group will lead followed by a touring group and so forth. Staging will consist of 10-15 cars and efforts will be made to accommodate groups that want to stay together.

Navigation challenges will also be addressed. Maps and GPS coordinates for meet-ups will be handed out in the registration packet. This will provide participants with the opportunity to mingle with other groups once the drive has started. If you want to change groups, just wait a little longer at one of the meet up spots and them you may do so. Navigation to the meet up spots and ultimate destinations will be the responsibility of the driver, there will not be a lead car this year. Each group can elect to have a lead car if they choose, but gas stops and directions are the responsibility of each car. This change should allow folks to travel at a pace that suits them while allowing for the added fun of traveling with a group of enthusiasts.

Upon registration, each participant will be asked to describe their driving style, spirited or touring. The registrar will assign people into two larger groups and then into sub groups based on this designation. When the drive starts, a volunteer will stage each group and send them off in intervals of about 5 minutes. This will allow for some spacing between groups and make it easier to change groups at meet up spots if so desired. The whole point of this event is to socialize and drive our cars so changing groups is not a problem, especially since there will not be a single lead car. The staging volunteer will rotate after two groups and keep doing so until all groups are sent out. The volunteer who agrees to bring up the rear will fall in after the final group has staged and lead them out.
Safety is concern number 1. We all want to have fun and being in a hospital or dead is not much fun so play it safe and drive within the limits of your skill and the law. Respect the car in front of you and give them plenty of space. If someone is following too close for comfort, kindly ask them to back off by placing your hand out the window and motioning downward until they get the hint. Be nice, sometimes it is easy to get excited in the heat of the moment on these amazing roads. Again, safety, practice by example and make it home safely.

As mentioned earlier, meet up spots will be clearly identified on the maps and using GPS coordinates. Efforts will be made to ensure that most of these spots have facilities for refreshments, restrooms and fuel when possible. Icons identifying what is available will be placed on each meet up spot on the map to help plan the trip. Fuel stops are on your own so try to fill up prior to each drive. The drives should be short enough to do on a tank of fuel if you plan ahead. Use these meet-up spots to socialize and change groups if desired. Nobody should be stuck in a group that does not fit their driving style or anything else. Our goal is to be flexible with the organization. If at all possible, the last meet-up spot will be arranged so any drives that want to finish the drive as one large group can do so. those wishing to return to base can also elect to do that. For Saturday, this meet-up spot will be our traditional cruise-in. I have a feeling this will be one you will not want to miss.

Each drive will consist of times for questions and re-grouping. The following list will be a general guide for how the drives flow.

-Pre-drive drivers meeting & late registration pick ups.
-Staging based on assigned groups
-Identified meet-up spots
-Preselected lunch stop
-Preselected photo op
-Return to base

Two-way radios are recommended for each driver as cell service is spotty at best on some of these roads. If you go over the edge on the Devil’s Triangle, we may never find you. Remember, safety!

The organizers of the 2015 Spring FIAT on the Dragon hope to take some of the lessons learned in the previous four events and improve on the formula. As always, we are open to constructive feedback. Our number one goal after safety of course, is fun. We look forward to seeing new and familiar faces this spring. Please sign up below using the link provided.
Thank you.

Registration Link:
https://fs24.formsite.com/Brett67/form15/index.html

I'm going

I've been watching this event for perhaps the past four years, each year wanting to go, but not pulling the trigger. It's actually on my "Bucket List".

I just signed up and cant wait, should be a lot of fun, great scenery and drives, great cars, great people!

And I'm booked at the Tally Ho to boot :)

Last edited:
Great news...

We usually have about two X1/9s that come, I hope to increase the number of older FIAT participation. New or old, you are welcome at this event.

I would love to see a Xweb contingent join us this spring. Anyone else?

I'm interested too, noticed it when they started since I lived in SC then, so we'll see if my work schedule allows me to make it from VA.

I am interested

Is there a class slower than touring? :)

I have never been on the Dragon and have always wanted to see the road, so maybe this would be a good year. I would probably need to choose attending the Dragon event or the FFO though.

Fiats on the Dragon

I'm in. Where is the Tally Ho Inn and how do we make reservations?
Is there a block of rooms set aside for this event?

Lodging...

The Tally Ho is in Townsend, TN. Here is a list of lodging options once the Tally Ho fills up (it will)

For those who have asked and would like an alternative to the Tally Ho Inn, here is a list.

1st alternative
The Townsend Gateway-
865-238-0123
www.townsendgatewayinn.com
It is just next door (easy walk across street)- completely remodeled. They even have 3-4 cabins for bigger accommodating groups. Great rates. Two local brothers own and operate.

2nd alternative
Highland Manor -
865-448-2211
http://www.highlandmanor.com/
Local owned

3rd alternative
Best Western-
865-448-9000
http://www.econolodgetownsend.com/
After that it would be equal. The Lodge is back open under new ownership as well - Bit pricey but indoor pools

If you plan to attend, reserve a room now! They fill up VERY quickly!

Tally Ho Inn
800-448-2465
www.talleyhoinn.com
We have blocked out the entire inn, it will be full of FIATs!

other options:

Townsend Gateway Motel and Cottages
865-238-0123
www.townsendgatewayinn.com

Scenic Motel
865-448-0402
Google Info

River Breeze Motel
865-448-2389
www.headricksriverbreeze.com

Highland Manor
865-448-2211
http://www.highlandmanor.com/

Best Western
865-448-9000
http://www.econolodgetownsend.com/

campground options:

Big Meadow Family Campground
(865) 448-0625
www.bigmeadowcampground.com

Townsend Great Smokies KOA
(865) 448-2241
www.townsendgreatsmokies.com

Lazy Daze Campground
(865) 448-6061
www.lazydazecampground.com

Put yourself on the map

Ok, time to add a marker to our map to show where you are coming from. Several of you have mentioned that it would be fun to contact folks in your area to travel with. At the very least, this is a fun way to see where everyone is coming from. Special prize for the farthest traveled on the map too.

If you want to travel with a group from your area, add a marker using the detailed marker and indicate that you want to travel with company. Also put some way to contact you. You could also specify if you would be open to sharing a room and costs. If the Tally Ho Inn is more than some want to spend, I think there are some more affordable options out there. Plus, an option could be to room with someone.

This map should be fun if everyone uses it.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1268070

Back