yes......Brake light update and more

Carl_Auer

Groovy
So, after fighting with my brake lights working and not working, and finally getting them working only to have my stereo decide it was going to do the same thing as my brake lights, I pulled the fuse panel and removed the relay assembly from the panel. I checked all the wires on it for some thing loose or bad looking and all looked pretty good. I then pulled the fuse assembly and low and behold, one single wire was just barely connected, wrapped in electrical tape to isolate it, which looked to be part of the issue. I pulled the tape off, then removed the connector, put a new connector on with a rubber cover to isolate it, hooked it up and so far (knock on wood) the brake lights are working. The wire was on the fuse for "Stop Lights" so I am hoping that was it. To fix the stereo, I pulled a new power wire for the constant 12 volt connection from the batter to the stereo with a inline fuse, hooked it up, and bam. Working stereo...in fact, working much better than before. Now I need to focus on a custom speaker shelf and recarpeting the back firewall....

temperature outside above 60 would be nice too....

I'm no stereo expert...

But trial and error (mostly error) has taught me that dedicated (+) and (-) wires for the stereo are very important.

:rolleyes:

I just did this a few weeks ago...

newrearshelf.jpg

Tom...

That is just about exactly what I want to do...

I don't suppose you have any detailed pictures or could tell me the dimensions and materials used?

I was using

a always hot line, but my guess is the wire was too small to power the stereo. I ran a 12 gauge wire from the battery with a fuse and rechecked my ground. All is well now.

Now that i have sorted that out, time to tackle the pop up light relay mod...

Here's a start...

1/4" luan flooring material, 47 3/4" across the top edge, 48 3/4" across the bottom, so trapezoidal... cut the speaker holes, covered with vinyl, cut the vinyl for the holes...

In the pick with my finger, there is channel in the rubber that was perfect for this, right about 1/4" wide, so board with material snugged right in. I don't know if this is a '74 difference or not?

Couple of sheet metal screws with interior upholstery washers to hold it down. Strip of 1/2" aluminum painted black across the front.

The sub mounting is 1/2" plywood, covered with speaker box felt and bolted to a cross-bar I fashioned across the opening of the spare tire well. (hope I don't get a flat!)

speakers.jpg

speakers2.jpg

Back