Yes it is me again. Temperature gauge

toddr124

Hagerstown, MD
The temperature gauge worked fine until the way home from Carlisle and it went intermittent. Now it does not move. I bought a new sensor from DiFattas but it is the wrong thread diameter. So I tested the new one verse the old one with a resistance meter and hot water. Both acted the same at the same temperature of water. When I remove the sensor on a cold engine a little water did come out. Therefore I believe water is touching the sensor.

I know wait until Tuesday and order the right one, but could it be anything else since the sensor did change resistance correctly?

try a very low resistance (dare I say short?) between the temp sender wire and the engine the dial should go full scale.

Shorting the wire to ground....

try a very low resistance (dare I say short?) between the temp sender wire and the engine the dial should go full scale.

Touching the wire to ground is a fine way of testing it. I wouldn't leave it that way for more than a few seconds, but nothing is going to burn up.

I'd bet fairly long odds that the problem is in the wiring not the sender. It went intermittent then dead, which sounds like a bad connection that finally failed completely; and the sender behaved reasonably when tested with hot water.

Reality check

Todd, your X clearly wants a break, go take the dual IDFs off the spider, put on the stock carb and start using the spider as your DD. They may be stone ax technology but with a functioning carb and ignition they run forever....and the wiring is a lot simpler!

I concur that it is a wiring or guage issue.

carl in Virgnia....Todd's best friend

I agree it is a wiring issue. Now to remove the fuse box

I have more electrical gremlins than ever. This car had no electrical problems before the heater core went. Now I have dozens.

I am decided to blame this on antifreeze in the fuse box. I did hose off the fuse box after the problem, but this did not help.

I am now trying to figure out how the remove the fuse box and clean it thoroughly. Time to search the archives.

Back